Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

customize excel default settings, e.g. for charts

hi! i want to suggest to you the implementation of a possibility to change excel default settings, e.g. for charts. i’ve talked to your friendly support team about one such example, but they couldn’t help me with something that’s not programmed.

i’m a chemist. like million other natural scientists, students and experts, i work with lots of complex and diverse data, every day. while the modern versions of excel offer many great and even fancy features, customization possibilities have shriveld. the template feature performs badly and really is only useful if applied to the exact same data set-up.
what is good (great even, and - for a mac user - the reason to try my luck with excel rather than numbers) is the possibility to adjust just about anything.
what is bad (and the reason why most of the above mentioned scientists use origin, gnuplot or other, sometimes ridiculously expensive software rather than excel) is that one’s personal preferences on a higher level cannot be introduced to the program. instead each tiny change has to be stupendously adjusted by hand - every time! my personal example from the support-encounter (adding a data label on a curve in a scatter plot (e.g. curve maximum): by default, it will show you the y-value, on the right side of the data point, in the number format of the data set. changing this to my specifications (x-value, above data point, number format with 0 decimal places)) needs 12 extra clicks to change ONE data label. i have done this little task hundreds of times - imagine the amount of time i lost. and there are countless more examples:
- using different source data (e.g. the next column) for a curve will change the curve’s color - why? now i have to chance the format again
- changing the color/format of a set of curves only works by clicking on one after the other (which is impossible, if they are too close together). sometimes i even have to change data values, so i have a place to click at
- applying a template on a new data set leads to ridiculous charts; the template saves for example the axis bounds (so most of my new data ends up tiny or outside the window), but will delete a previously added axis name (so applying a template at any point later than the absolute beginning leads to data loss)

i as a single voice will probably not have an impact on your plans. but i wanted to give you this feedback before giving up and switching to another plotter, which is what pretty much all of my colleagues did. you have a pretty good code base here. now just open it up a little for professional users, and you win back the science community ;)

2 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jane Doe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)