Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Bring back custom keyboard shortcuts

In this answer to "Bring back custom keyboard shortcuts" https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac?query=Bring%20back%20custom%20keyboard%20shortcuts the MS team states I can find the customization option under Tools > Customize Keyboard and links to this article to show how: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-a-custom-keyboard-shortcut-for-office-for-mac-6bbeb90e-96d9-4e03-b199-fc026ebdc321?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

This is NOT the case. There is no option for Customize Keyboard in the Tools menu in Excel 2016 for MAC. You guys blew it when you removed the ability of a user to create a custom key combo to complete a command.

For example I always used the F1 key to delete cells and rows, which I do a lot. I used Option+click to add rows. Now I have to hunt all over for the tool. When I added these commands to the Qick Access bar at the top via Ribbon customization, the icons are so greyed out that I can't even see them. See attached screens.

I intend to get a refund and use an older version of Excel. The limitations in 2016 make my workload way more tedious.

Don't even get me started on the animated "gliding cells". How stupid. I'm not making a video. I'm doing bookkeeping and invoicing. I don't want my sheets animated.

12 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's hard to describe how awful this program is without meaningful options to use keyboard shortcuts.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The customize keyboard feature was released in version 2016.17, but unless you have Office 365, you cannot upgrade beyond 2016.15. In other words, if you purchased a standalone version of Office 2016, you are SOL. I have used 2016.20, however, and the customize keyboard option is still awful. For the most part, it only works for actions that you can do from the ribbons. Want to change the shortcut to edit the active cell (F2) or use Auto-Sum (CMD + SHIFT + T)? Too bad, because you can't. You're not missing much.

• Philip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree. Customize Keyboard is a MUST HAVE for me. I hate having to lift my hands off the keyboard to execute simple repetitive commands. Please, please, please bring this back!

Feedback and Knowledge Base