Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Excel crashes and cells cannot be edited with High Sierra

Dear Excel team, this has been posted already and has 74 comments on it, but you closed it. The reason you are not seeing crash reports is because we have to kill the app and this doesn't seem to generate a crash report.

Issue is as described by 4 pages of comments, please reopen. If not then I have created this as a new issue.

If you attempt to double click in the cell or click in the function bar, then Excel freezes, by keeping the cursor in the cell and removing keyboard entry. Menu's stop working as well, the best you get is a momentary flicker of the menu bars when you try and click them. the only way to work is to then kill (force quit) the app and restart

I am running Excel version 16.13.1 (180523) on macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 on a MacBook Pro 2016, 2.9Ghz i5, 8GB ram, 130Gb free space on SSD.

12 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem with Excel V 16.19 on Mojave 10.14.1 (Mac Mini). I have reported it.

• Joel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS....how can you consider an issue closed without a resolution? I am running Excel version 16.19 on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and every time I click within a cell, I get stuck in the cell and only way to get out is a force quit. Come on! Only became an issue once I upgraded to High Sierra! HELP!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also frustrated. And I am running Yosemite... Same problem. If I ADD a Comment to a Cell, Excel immediately crashes... Come on MS! It was for these reasons that I left the PC world and moved to MAC... Please don't make me go to Google Sheets!!!

• wyn davies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update. I reverted the os to Sierra, and this problem disappeared. I can guarantee it after 3 months it seems to be a good fix.
        A couple of weeks ago Microsoft issued an update. If you’re on high Sierra & don’t want to downgrade your os, I’d recommend you “check for updates” in office. Or even better, install from new for the latest version 16.16.2, the freeze & crash on cell colour change issue has gone. However, I’m having some issues with changing border styles being un-editable, but it may be a file corruption.. otherwise fine, i’ll keep U updated....

Having the exact same problem. Even redownloading the program doesn't help! This is infuriating! This is not a cheap program!

hi
        i am experiencing the same problem. it really concerns me that microsoft expects its clients to pay for their software, yet offer ZERO after sales services! no wonder so many use pirate versions and or create bugs etc for microsoft... shows the ****** product for what it is...
        just my 5c...
        now that i have paid for excel, let me learn how to use numbers and use that instead...

• Blaise Hartman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, could someone link to the original ticket? I want to read further on what has already been reported for dealing with this issue on work machines having this error. Much obliged.

• Teresa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am still using El Capitan and now have this exact problem. Not sure its the version of Mac

• Tammar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I AM REALLY AMAZED THAT MICROSOFT CANNOT MAKE A BUG FREE APP FOR MAC HIGH SEIRRA......... REALLY A FRUSTRATING APP.... I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THIS... HOW DO WE NOT UPGRADE OUR MACBOOKS TO GET BETTER FEATURES JUST BECAUSE WE WON'T BE ABLE TO WORK WITH MICROSOFT APPLICATIONS.... MICROSOFT SHOULD WORK OUT FOR BUGS FREE APP........

MS EXCEL CRUSHES EVERY MINUTE

Summary Note:
        If you use excel 15, and wish to continue using it on your Mac:
        - DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR OS TO HIGH SIERRA, until MS / apple find a fix

Ok folks, it doesn't look like Apple or Microsoft are acknowledging this issue, so I now have a confirmed fix how to resolve this although I don't think you'll like it:
        Excel 15.13.3 is fully operational again on my Mac mini (so far) albeit running on OS Sierra (10.12.6). You will need to downgrade your OS, so build a boot disk for Sierra (download DiskmakerX & Sierra), back up your data, wipe & format your hard drive, & re-install everything. Hopefully all your mail is imap, & can be recovered.. This worked for me... best of luck?

yep, same problem! After upgrade to High Sierra 10.13.5 yesterday, Excel (Office 365) will not function!

• Elizabeth Hamblin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had no trouble with Excel until last night (6/13). After the most recent iOS update, I can't open Excel at all. The other Office 365 apps work fine, but Excel is kaput... and I need it to be able to function in my business. Your chatbots are **** — they keep offering me info for Windows even when I specify that I'm on a Mac OS, or else they offer me articles about dealing with unrelated issues or issues from 7 years ago. I cannot reach a live human agent to save my life. You guys really need to work on your customer service: Get some better AI trainers in there for your chatbots, at the very least.

... I am running the same version of excel (15.14) on 2 other Macs, without problem, albeit under El Capitan. It seems to be the most stable OS to support this version. I'm about to downgrade the OS from High Sierra to El Capitan on the other offending computer, if anyone else has tried this, let me know? thanks

This is a ridiculous issue. I have to quit Excel and reopen to change an additional cell color. Also hangs when I rename a new sheet tab. Never happened before High Sierra. Please fix this ASAP. I have already tried to move to Numbers, but seems like more trouble than quitting and reopening when I need to change a fill color.

I am running Excel 15.14 on macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 on a MacBook Pro 2017, 3.3Ghz i5, 16gb ran & 390gb available on SSD.

I agree, I discovered the original thread after it was closed, although continued to add to it hoping that MS might have a patch, workaround or update at some future date. Hopefully changing to this new thread (as it requires URGENT attention) - will elicit a response better than "thread closed", as Excel 15 & up is consistently inoperable under high Sierra....

Feedback and Knowledge Base