Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Enable Axis Format For New Chart Types in the Excel 2016 for Mac 16.9 Release

In Excel 2016 for Mac, new chart types were introduced, including Histogram, Tree Map, Sunburst and Box and Whisker. When attempting to format the X & Y Axes, either the Format box appeared with no parameters, or no Format box shows at all. This is critical, core functionality and is needed ASAP, for example a 16.10 update. With my specific case, /i was trying to adjust Bin parameters on a Histogram, and the Format Axis box never appeared.

78 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Steve shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Hi All – We are working to add the formatting capabilities for the new chart types. We’re hoping to release the update for this in June 2018.

We recognize there are currently some limitations with how you can use the chart types that have only recently been available in Excel for Mac, especially Histogram, and we are working hard to complete these.

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jonathon Hodges commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Dwight,
        Yeah, they fixed it back in Excel 2016 Mac 16.14 (180602).

Try double clicking on the bars in the histogram instead of double clicking the axes, like you'd usually do. I guess the logic is you're editing the buckets, not the axes.

Hi Jill,
        Yes, I'm happy to say you are. Try double clicking on the bars in the histogram. Don't ask me why it has this behaviour, it's unexpected, as your experience shows.

Kind regards,
        Jonathon

• Jill Folkerts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Excel version 16.16.1 still does not have the capability to adjust the bin widths/sizes or add an underflow/overflow bin. Am I missing something?

I'm excited to see that the developers have now added this to Excel 2016 Mac 16.14 (180602), which is now available in the Insider Slow release channel.

Thanks folks! I'm really looking forward to using this.

If anyone has any good links to resources about how to adjust bins to reveal new information from histograms, please let me know.

Jonathon

• Charlene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Im not able to insert columns
        Not able to use spell check
        They are not enabled /. Dont know how to get them turn on

• Dwight Erskine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its now the 2nd of May, I'm on 16.14 (Insider Fast Build), and its STILL not fixed. The Histogram Bin sizing is by far the biggest frustration.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kind of need to pass a stats class and at this point my Mac is useless because I NEED to format histograms. The function is useless without it.

I am trying to format a statistical chart, so must be able to choose bin widths and boundaries, but I cannot even get Format Axis to show on my Mac. Pretty fundamental omission. Please fix urgently

Agreed. The ability to format the axes on a graph is fundamental. Please fix ASAP. It is great to have the ability to make box plots, but it the user cannot scale the axes this ability is useless. Thank you.

• Tariq Khaleqe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I came to this site through https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_mac-mso_mac2016/histograms-for-excel-2016/8ba071c5-b7af-4598-817a-c4bcb191ffe6.

What I find hilarious is that choosing bin size is critical for histograms. This SHOULD be included no matter what. I fail to logically understand why Microsoft would remove it!

Above all this post was made in Jan 2018. Its March. Nothing has been done. Microsoft you need to fix this immediately!

It seems that the developers are aware of it, it's not fixed in 16.11 (Insider Preview) but they "will have this fixed soon"
        https://support.office.com/en-us/article/excel-2016-for-mac-%E2%80%93-release-notes-for-insider-fast-builds-2425ec86-7c37-4d37-a276-225d4d7e1e17?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

February 7, 2018 release
        Version: 16.11 (Build 180206)

New or improved Features

If you haven't already, be sure to review the major feature updates mentioned in the Oct. 2 update notes.

Bug fixes

Fixed several crashes.

Fixed a problem where calculations were taking longer than expected when using multiple threads.

Excel now shows the number of recent documents specified in MacOS "Recent Items" preference.

Known issues

This is still considered a preview of the next major version, so we expect to see some issues. Please provide feedback about any issues you find by clicking the smiley-face button near the top corner of the application window. Here are a few things we're already aware of:

If you create a PivotChart, the ribbon tab to adjust the format of the chart will not appear. We will have this fixed soon.

For the new chart types, Sunburst, Treemap, Waterfall, Histogram, Map, and Funnel, the Format Pane can't be opened, so there are some chart options that can't be adjusted.

I think this is a bug, rather than a missing feature, as the Microsoft developers are aiming for feature parity between Mac OS and Windows. I've reported the bug using the smiley face button in the top right of the Excel window. Can I ask that you do the same?

I'm not sure how often this forum is checked. I've looked in the release notes for the Office Insider program (beta releases of Excel) and I don't see any mention of this bug being fixed.

Creating histograms is almost worthless if the user cannot specify the bin width and number of bins. We have to use pivot tables for that, which is awkward and difficult.

• Jesse Kent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I third this. I am highly surprised there is only 2 comments and 3 likes regarding this issue. As previously mentioned, this is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL for proper functionality. I also, am a university student trying to coursework.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make it possible to format these. This is absolutely critical

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base