Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Make Excel 2016 for Mac more like Excel for Windows

Office for mac is slow and lack several features and ergonomy that the windows version has. Microsoft Word lacks those too.

87 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Nathan Lafreniere shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Hi Everyone – we are working hard to bring features to Excel for Mac that have been available only on Windows. Recent examples are multi-threaded calculations, slicers for tables, new chart types, editing a workbook simultaneously with others (coauthoring), and new worksheet functions.

We take your feedback seriously, so please keep telling us what issues you are having and what improvements you’d like to see most.

I’m declining this particular suggestion to encourage everyone to tell us about specific improvements that are most important. We want to make Excel work consistently on different platforms, but we can’t do it all at once. Voting for specific suggestions helps us prioritize.

Thanks – Steve K [MS Excel]

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DaveL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Brett, try upgrading to 16.10 [insider slow]. That solved my similar issues.

• Brett Gaspers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seeing a lot of beachballs and input lag in an Excel forecast model that uses a lot of VBA. This model is completely snappy in Windows Excel 16.9, but is almost unbearable to use in Mac Excel 16.9. Lots of work to be done here, Microsoft!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Conditional formatting on duplicate values makes the Mac version perform super slow, Windows is snappy...

• DaveL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recently upgraded to 16.9, which, I have read, uses the same code base as the Windows version and uses multi-threading. For me, this has resulted in much slower VBA code execution and screen navigation.

I couldn't agree more it is a joke we spend roughly $150 dollars depending on the option you chose and we are missing important features. Thats theft in my eyes.

• Mike D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also wonder, since there's rarely a response, if anyone at Microsoft ever reads these comments?

Agree with all of this - it's actually had various forms of 'clipboard' for Mac version, but now has none at all... And I've had all the microsoft excuses about compatibility with Mac.. we can send a probe to the far reaches of our galaxy, but can't reinstate the clipboard feature to the Office Suite

MS Office is virtually unusable on a Mac because it is missing so many essential features. This does Microsoft a huge disservice as it makes many Mac users think Office is terrible. Those of us who use both PC and Mac know that Office on Windows can be brilliant - why are Mac users being penalised?
        Please, please, please make both Windows and Mac versions the same. Thanks.

Especially with Chinese Characters inputing, it's terribly, terribly slow for Mac OS High Sierra

• dw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In fact, there's really no good reason for Excel (or Word, or Powerpoint, or OneNote, or Outlook) to not be feature-identical between both macOS and Windows. Virtually nobody buys a PC with Windows because of some features missing in the Mac version of Excel, and those that do certainly represent a rounding error in the balance sheet for both Microsoft and Apple. Make them all feature-identical on both platforms.

Agree - I have both versions too and the Mac version is sadly lacking in performance and features - it doesn't even have a clipboard - so you can do just 1 copy and paste, no repeats, no multiples

Feedback and Knowledge Base