Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

After upgrade to High Sierra Excel crashes when I try to change a cell

Excel 15.39 and High Sierra. Changing a cell (whatever, for example a stupid =5000/2 to =(10000/2)/2 Excel crash. Please fix it as it become unuseful and very frustrating!

20 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Federico Fumagalli shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

For the specific crash described with version 15.39, we are not receiving reports of this exact scenario. We continually monitor for crash reports that are submitted at the time of the crash as well as by feedback sent from within Excel (the smiley face button near the top right corner of the Excel window). Other comments here mention a variety of crashes, but we need more detail, such as exact build/version numbers, and exact steps that lead to the problem.

This topic is closed, but again, we continually monitor for crash issues and release fixes each month.

The best way to report a crash is to submit the crash information when prompted by the Microsoft Error Reporting dialog that shows up after a crash.

Steve K [MS Excel]

132 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

High Sierra has been out for ages, Excel is unusable if you can't colour cells. Can you please get your **** together and fix this bug!!??

• Kate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am also having issues with changing cell colors in Excel. I get the rainbow wheel of death and it shuts down. Happened after updating to high sierra. Affecting productivity and not happy. any help is appereciated.

• Mike W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep, Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.2
        Excel can change the FONT and CELL background color when I click on a predetermined color.
        BUT when I want to use the COLOR WHEEL to choose a different color or shade it FREEZES till I have to force quit.
        Excel Version 15.12.3

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same for me. After High Sierra upgrade, Excel on Mac OSX crashes when changing cell color.

This is driving me crazy!!! Excel keeps crashing on my Mac - usually when I try to add colour to cell. Has been happening for weeks and I’m fed up! Help!

• YNC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still happening, especially with filters applied to the spreadsheet.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Eccell simply does not work in high sierra. Crashes every 30 seconds.

Same issue. Crashes whenever I try fill cell with color. Happens in Exceland tables in Word. Very frustrating.

• Garry Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

excel team: this is not completed as it keeps on happening. tell you what if it keeps on happening I will switch back to numbers. thats my attitude in response to your attitude.

This is still happening to me. Crashes every time I try to change the color of a cell since upgrading to High Sierra on my MacBook Air. I'm using Safari. Is there a fix yet?

• Capeto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The same issue here!, Is frustrating! crush every time i use fill color tool, and for other random reasons , it crushes every 5 min.

• Bala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I face the same issue - whenever I try to use the Fill Colour option, excel immediately crashes. This happens only in High Sierra (I was earlier using El Captain). Please someone help with this!!

I have the exact same issue. Freezes whenever I try to modify a cell. Version 16.11.1 (180319) running on High Sierra 10.13.4

• Tom Tock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue. Change the fill color and XLS crashes. This has totally destroyed my ability to be productive. I will have to consider changing to Google Sheets as it is more stable.

Mac OS 10.13.3
        XLS 15.11.2

Feedback and Knowledge Base