Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

After upgrade to High Sierra Excel crashes when I try to change a cell

Excel 15.39 and High Sierra. Changing a cell (whatever, for example a stupid =5000/2 to =(10000/2)/2 Excel crash. Please fix it as it become unuseful and very frustrating!

20 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Federico Fumagalli shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

For the specific crash described with version 15.39, we are not receiving reports of this exact scenario. We continually monitor for crash reports that are submitted at the time of the crash as well as by feedback sent from within Excel (the smiley face button near the top right corner of the Excel window). Other comments here mention a variety of crashes, but we need more detail, such as exact build/version numbers, and exact steps that lead to the problem.

This topic is closed, but again, we continually monitor for crash issues and release fixes each month.

The best way to report a crash is to submit the crash information when prompted by the Microsoft Error Reporting dialog that shows up after a crash.

Steve K [MS Excel]

132 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alexis González Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My excel crashes when I try to color a cell or a group of cells. I see many people complain about this, but I see no response.
        What can I do?

• Alexis González Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My excel crashes the I try to color a cell or a group of cells. I see many people complain about this, but I see no response.
        What can I do?

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only advice I've been given so far that could potentially to fix this, until MS come up with a patch (although I haven't done this yet) is to : 1. back up all your user files (mail would have to be reconfigured & re-download IMAP mail from mail servers ,ie pop mail wld be lost) , 2. wipe the HD / ssd with disk tools, 3. re -install the os to an earlier OS (Sierra or lower) 4. re-install your apps and copy over your files from backup.5. DO NOT update the OS to high Sierra.... However if this doesn't work, it may require a teardown...... I'm almost desperate enough to give it a go ? Anyone else tried this?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still same with my excel, as soon as I click to change text or numbers in a cell, it freezes.

Excel is crashing constantly when trying to change fill in a cell on the text. Please resolve this as this is ridiculous!!!

Also Having crash issues when trying to fill a cell with color
        OS high sierra PLEASE FIX!!

Excel version : 16.13
        file size : just 800 KB
        problem : just copy cells from a file and try to paste to other excel file sheet, but excel freezes and hangs...
        so same issue we have and no solution yet !
        incredible....
        come on... this is excel !!!!
        :(

• Anonymous in USA. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excel: paint fill cell background color (by 2nd or 3rd time) = CRASH
        Powerpoing: paint fill shapes background color (by 2nd or 3rd time) = CRASH
        ever since last big Mac OS update.

ARRRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!
        Can anyone help? Massive issue trying to get business/work done!!

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is still happening, added to this it causes microsoft error reporting to hang & crash also, so this would explain why MS are not receiving error reports. I assure you its still continuing.... I've disabled autofills & a few random preferences that would appear to cause conflict errors... but without effect. Additionally these are not saved on reboot.. This is a BIG problem as you can see from the list of comments below... MS, when will you issue an update???

I have this issue, Excel 2015 Version 15.13.1. When I try to add color to a single or multiple cells, the application crashes.

am also having excel crash when I try to change the cell colour. Can't tell you how frustrating this was after loading a renovation project budget and expenses...aaarrrgghhh!!! Thought it was just this novice mac user, but all of you can't be wrong. Wish I hadn't updated the OS. MS Excel for mac v 15.15...a simple fix would be lovely microsoft and/or apple...thank you

• Ashley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still no official solution? Come on, Apple/Microsoft! This is ridiculous (and the couple suggested "solutions" from others, though well-intentioned, are more time consuming than just restarting after every crash). (Also, FYI: almost identical issues here, only for me it usually let's me change a font or cell color once, and then a second change will crash the program.)

• Rob Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have this problem too, when i change the colour of cells the programme crashes. I have a project now late. Do I have to go back to NUMBERS on OSX?

Feedback and Knowledge Base