Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

After upgrade to High Sierra Excel crashes when I try to change a cell

Excel 15.39 and High Sierra. Changing a cell (whatever, for example a stupid =5000/2 to =(10000/2)/2 Excel crash. Please fix it as it become unuseful and very frustrating!

20 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Federico Fumagalli shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

For the specific crash described with version 15.39, we are not receiving reports of this exact scenario. We continually monitor for crash reports that are submitted at the time of the crash as well as by feedback sent from within Excel (the smiley face button near the top right corner of the Excel window). Other comments here mention a variety of crashes, but we need more detail, such as exact build/version numbers, and exact steps that lead to the problem.

This topic is closed, but again, we continually monitor for crash issues and release fixes each month.

The best way to report a crash is to submit the crash information when prompted by the Microsoft Error Reporting dialog that shows up after a crash.

Steve K [MS Excel]

130 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Billy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there going to be a fix for the Color fill crashing? This is absolutely ridiculous that I can only fill once, save, try to fill another cell, crash, open, fill next cell, save, try to fill another cell, crash, open. So much wasted time..

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Crashes every time when changing colors.....NEVER not happens.....Excel totally shuts down
        Excel 15.13.3
        High Sierra 10.13.6

Same issue as below crashes constantly with cell color changes or font color change. Sooooo FRUSTRATING!

• J Ells commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

same issue - consistently able to reproduce. LOL at MS closing the topic/issue.

High Sierra updated to 10.13.5 on 6/22/18. EXCEL began crashing the next day. I have 16.15 version of EXCEL for Mac. I had this same problem a month or so ago. Very frustrating.

Excel Crashes when you try to print
        excel version 16.15 (180620)
        high sierra 10.13.4

180620 was released on the Fast Track/Office Insiders...
        need to wait for an update to correct it
        -or-
        1. uninstall and re-install
        2. Toggle Auto-Update to Slow Track

Same problem here, I've sended a lot of reports to MS , till now no solution , I have to buy a PC and Another copy of the MS Office to work here !

Same issue here. How can I send a report when it is hanging. Even the reporting tool. I have to force quit both excel and that. New macbook and office packafe and i get this. Very frustrating.

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Workaround! I too was seeing Excel crash everytine I tried to color a cell, but only when I selected the cell and then went to the toolbar at the top to select a color. The workaround I use is to select the cell, right click, and choose Format Cell / Fill.

• frustrated mac user commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excel has stopped working on my mac full-stop. Simply crashes are first action is requested. It's a huge issue. Needs to be resolved. Perhaps I'll go and purchase a PC. That will solve the problem.

Dear Idiots in Excel team who marked this closed. The reason you are not seeing crash reports is because we have to kill the app and this doesn't seem to generate a crash report.

Issue is as described by 4 pages of comments, please reopen. If not then I have created it as a new issue.

If you attempt to double click in the cell or click in the function bar, then Excel freezes, by keeping the cursor in the cell and removing keyboard entry. Menu's stop working as well, the best you get is a momentary flicker of the menu bars when you try and click them.

I am running Excel version 16.13.1 (180523) on macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 on a MacBook Pro 2016, 2.9Ghz i5, 8GB ram, 130Gb free space on SSD.

• Alexis González Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My excel crashes when I try to color a cell or a group of cells. I see many people complain about this, but I see no response.
        What can I do?

• Alexis González Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My excel crashes the I try to color a cell or a group of cells. I see many people complain about this, but I see no response.
        What can I do?

Feedback and Knowledge Base