Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

After upgrade to High Sierra Excel crashes when I try to change a cell

Excel 15.39 and High Sierra. Changing a cell (whatever, for example a stupid =5000/2 to =(10000/2)/2 Excel crash. Please fix it as it become unuseful and very frustrating!

20 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Federico Fumagalli shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Product Owner, Office.com) responded  · 

For the specific crash described with version 15.39, we are not receiving reports of this exact scenario. We continually monitor for crash reports that are submitted at the time of the crash as well as by feedback sent from within Excel (the smiley face button near the top right corner of the Excel window). Other comments here mention a variety of crashes, but we need more detail, such as exact build/version numbers, and exact steps that lead to the problem.

This topic is closed, but again, we continually monitor for crash issues and release fixes each month.

The best way to report a crash is to submit the crash information when prompted by the Microsoft Error Reporting dialog that shows up after a crash.

Steve K [MS Excel]

134 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the exact same issue. Freezes whenever I try to modify a cell. Version 16.11.1 (180319) running on High Sierra 10.13.4

• Tom Tock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue. Change the fill color and XLS crashes. This has totally destroyed my ability to be productive. I will have to consider changing to Google Sheets as it is more stable.

Mac OS 10.13.3
    XLS 15.11.2

My excel crashes continuously when editing a cell. For example, when changing the background color and when adding conditional format. It's a shame that a wonderful program like this doesn't work on Mac.

I AM ALSO GETTING THIS - trying to complete a spreadsheet for a meeting and it's crashed 3 times - the first time I hadn't saved my 5 changes before I tried to remove a coloured fill from the row, replace with no fill and fill one cell with grey to match the rest of the totals. SO frustrating - I agree COME ON Apple/Excel. Every since I upgrade both my Outlook and to High Sierra, my outlook and excel have been unstable. please fix

• Manny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do have this issue - and none of the things worked. Not safe mode, not a clean install. Excel crashes when I try to change fonts. Another stellar product from Microsoft!

Has anyone solved this yet? Almost every time I try to change the shading of a cell Excel hangs up!

Has anyone found a solution to this? Most of the time when I select a color to apply to cells it crashes and closes. Does this with some data sorting as well! Ugh

• Juan Guerrero commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Im also having a ton of problems with excel crashing when I change font/cell color, it happens only when you look at the color display box for every feature.

• Bob Khodjaev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem for Excel 2016 crashes when I try to change font color in few minutes when i start..

Please advice how to fix it???

• Jake Armstrong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We tracked our instance of this issue to the fact that the cell with the formula has Accounting format. With any other format it works fine.

Can anyone else corroborate this?

Same, Excel crashed every few minutes when I try to change the formatting such as cell color. I'm on Mac Os High Sierre 10.13.2.

• Lisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excel 15.41 and High Sierra. Almost daily Excel will lock up. Usually when I am opening a file or trying to save a file. Then I cannot shut down properly. Please fix. Very frustrating!

• Tor Espen Kristensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I solved my problems by deleting all the files in Library/Preferences. That mean that I had to go through all my settings again (apps on dock, size of dock, etc).

Feedback and Knowledge Base