Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

After upgrade to High Sierra Excel crashes when I try to change a cell

Excel 15.39 and High Sierra. Changing a cell (whatever, for example a stupid =5000/2 to =(10000/2)/2 Excel crash. Please fix it as it become unuseful and very frustrating!

20 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Federico Fumagalli shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Product Owner, Office.com) responded  · 

For the specific crash described with version 15.39, we are not receiving reports of this exact scenario. We continually monitor for crash reports that are submitted at the time of the crash as well as by feedback sent from within Excel (the smiley face button near the top right corner of the Excel window). Other comments here mention a variety of crashes, but we need more detail, such as exact build/version numbers, and exact steps that lead to the problem.

This topic is closed, but again, we continually monitor for crash issues and release fixes each month.

The best way to report a crash is to submit the crash information when prompted by the Microsoft Error Reporting dialog that shows up after a crash.

Steve K [MS Excel]

134 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem as exactly described below. Marking this item completed is really Microsoft.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any fix for this issue? I'm having the exact same problem. Crashes any time I try to highlight a cell.

• Andres commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Crashes the 2nd time you change a color of cell. 1st time is fine

Same problem here, it really is frustrating and I've had to resort to use Google Sheets. Please help!!

• MM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was suffered by this color fill/coloring fonts issue for several months. It appears fixed in Excel 16.16 (180812). I got the updated version through re-installing Microsoft 360.

• SP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here, High Sierra 10.13.6 crashes as soon as I try to sort

Just downloaded Mac High Sierra and Microsoft 2016 suite. Cannot find way to move/set/ reset page breaks. Follow their instructions but doesn't work. Any help?

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

August 30th 2018 and the problem persists - every time I change (or more accurately, try to change) cell colours, Excel freezes, beach ball spins, then it crashes. Had been on live chat with a Microsoft agent for 3/4 of an hour and literally everything she suggested failed, and left me having to reinstall Office 365 (and Outlook) from fresh. First time I tried to use it, it crashed again. I pay for this service every month, MS - don't you dare say you haven't received reports of it. Useless and bloody frustrating.

This same problem happens for me too. My excel crashes every time I try to change the colour of a cell and randomly other times as well.

mac OS 10.13.6
    excel version 15.14

I have excel Version 16.16.1 (180814) on mac OS 10.13.6.

Excel keeps freezing while coloring. This is a common problem across all versions of excel since a year. Pls work on this issue.

• Kevin E commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It really is unusable... Crashes on Sorts as well... Need to figure out if I can make Apple Numbers works with my Excel counterparts...

Office 2016 for Mac SUCKS!!! When you try to edit color of font/cell/element program freezes. FRUSTRATING!!!

Same issue here, crashed EVERY time I change the colour of a cell - SO ANNOYING!

Excel 15.13.3
    High Sierra 10.13.6

chiming in to say this is happening for me too. PLEASE FIX, ITS INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING

Excel v 15.16 crashes if i try and change the cell colour with High Sierra 10.13.6
    Microsoft - you know about this problem - fix it!

• Bill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My wife is on High Sierra and I'm on El Capitan. Excel is crashing every time there is color fill in the document. This is absolutely ridiculous. Microsoft ... whether Skype or Office, they really know how to ***** up the user experience.

• Cynthia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to add I'm having the same issue. Excel crashes every time I try to color a cell. VERY FRUSTRATING!! I've had to start transferring my excel spreadsheets to google sheets in order to have colored cells. Please post a fix soon!!!

Excel 15.13.3
    High Sierra 10.13.6

Feedback and Knowledge Base