Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Update tooltips and autocomplete/auto suggest to match Windows version functionality

I've encountered two major differences between the Mac and Windows version that have to do with the auto-suggestion of 1) arguments for functions that require specific inputs, and 2) structured references. (Screenshots attached)

1) Take SUBTOTAL() for example, whose first argument is a function_num which must be a number 1 through 11 which correspond to other functions like SUM, AVERAGE, etc. In the Windows version, these are presented to you as soon as you type the function, but in the Mac version you either need to have the numbers memorized, or look it up in the help.

2) Excel for Windows will suggest a structured reference (like the column name in a table) as soon as the bracket is typed. Excel for Mac, on the other hand, requires that you know the first letter of the column before it suggests anything. But in a table with tens or hundreds of unique column names, what if I can't think of what it begins with? I'll need to stop typing my formula and go visit the table which is often in another sheet.

5 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dtork shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)