Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Fix VBA recording issue

Something I came across - which I suspect has been documents elsewhere but I can't readily see it so here goes.

When recording a macro in excel for mac 2016 for some reason the action of opening a file does not get recorded. The recorder literally doesn't register that you have opened the file. (Its a very useful step to provide the full syntax for the file path of the relevant file).

However when you close the file - that step is recorded as ActiveWorkbook.Close.

It took me a while to work out that the syntax from 2011 to 2016 versions had changed from the previous ":" to "/" as the separator for the file path address.

Why is this happening please and when will it be fixed. I also echo another note which suggests that the VBA editor screen is now too basic to be of that much use other than stepping into the macro and running step by step - please bring back the old editor.

79 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
planned  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Product Owner, Office.com) responded  · 

Thanks for reporting this issue, we are planning to address it, but in the meantime, you can do this with a command such as the following:

Application.Workbooks.Open “/Users/user_name/Downloads/MyWorkbook.xlsx”

Steve K [MS Excel]

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base