Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

fuzzy lookup for Mac

Fuzzy lookup for Mac

It would be great to have fuzzy lookup add-in for Mac.

148 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Marcel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
info needed  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Product Owner, Office.com) responded  · 

Thanks for all your comments and votes supporting this suggestion. It would be very helpful if you would add more information about how you’d like to use fuzzy lookup in Excel.

Thanks – Steve K [MS Excel]

47 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Martin Farncombe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a list of alternative part numbers (text strings) 12 wide by 3000 long. I am occasionally given a partial 'number' and want to use index/match to find the nearest complete string

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can improve Excel for Mac by creating parity with Excel for Windows, it's pretty easy and you don't even need creative people's help. You might as well fire your PM over Excel for Mac since they can't seem to get your company to this realization. The product map is right there in front of you. What does the Windows version have? Perfect, that's exactly what we should be working on!

As an aside, this is why companies are moving off of Microsoft products all together. The only reason for this limitation is to promote your own OS, it's short-sighted and pushing tech companies to use alternative platforms and tools.

• Kelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd use it for the same reasons that I would use it on a PC. The operating system makes no difference as to why I would use it. If you built it for Excel, why are you asking how it would be used for a Mac? The answer is, for the same reasons a PC user would.

• Warp757 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would use it to match names in our company
    For example:
    John Henry Doe
    Jon Henry Doe
    J. H. Doe
    John H. Doe
    John Doe
    vs his wife that also works here
    Jill Ramirez Doe
    J. R. Doe
    Jill R. Doe
    Jill Doe

This is just the example I am currently working on.
    Note: Names have been changed protect the innocent.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We'd use it to match export information from our CRM system and web admin after years of poor form management. Desperately need the functionality to rationalise all our old records now I've painstakingly rebuilt the CRM and admin to match and be more compatible!

• mailinator commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still waiting... how hard can this really be MS? You already have the code for PC... pls extend to Mac.

• Nick Leeder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A replication of the Windows version of the fuzzy logic plugin would be very helpful

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would use it when comparing two sets of customer lists where spelling of names and abbreviations are used inconsistently. Match Univ of Massachusetts to University of Massachusetts and to University of Mass.

• Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use it to compare how college majors are listed between different databases.

• Albert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To the Excel Team:

Either your system has a cheesy AUTO RESPOCE to cases like this one
    Or what is up with the question?

We would like to use fuzzy lookup for the exact reason it was built for!
    Please take this seriously as we all pay for the software and need this for our
    day to day workflow.

Thanks-

• Anant Chaudhary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dude are you ********? We will use it just like PC users use it. Did you ask this ingenius question while building up the PC version? If no, then don't ask it now. If yes, then you already have your answers. ******** product management team.

• Anthony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would definitely be useful! Ive used in the past for large databases of addresses that have slight differences in spelling like NW vs Northwest or St vs Street etc... Would use it now to compare 2 lists of names for individuals from South America which tend to have several last names but not all are included in one of the two lists.

Compare two or more columns and give a score for how close a match they are. Exact same functionality as the fuzzy lookup for windows

Also to be able to set the level of "fuzziness" on a scale of 1 to 10. 10 being exact match and 1 being the loosest match

Yes, have it work exactly like the PC version where you get set the % match from 0-100% match.

• Amy Wang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To match chemical names on different lists. Sometimes the same chemical is expressed slightly different, such as with more letters to specify structural feature or details. For instance, diarsenic pentaoxide is the same as arsenic pentaoxide.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base