Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Excel for Mac v15.23 scrolling still broken

Just updated to v15.23 for Excel on Mac today hoping to see scrolling fixes, but nothing seems to have changed. When scrolling up in Page Layout view, the entire page above blanks out for several seconds before filling in the data on the page. Other Mac apps handle scrolling just fine and seamlessly show pages in real time as they are scrolled up/down. Excel on Mac still seems to not understand scrolling and showing data scrolling at same time!

14 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Linda shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excel scrolling problem is very bad for me here in early January of 2019, hence I have come upon this thread. Seems this is a long term problem not getting addressed successfully? I'm using Excel v16.20 on a fairly loaded early 2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro. I can scroll a couple lines, then I get a hiccup and/or the spinning beach ball for a couple seconds, then scroll continues. Rinse/repeat ad infinitum to whatever frustration level I have available. I've tried with calculation toggled to manual but this did not help. Problem does go away with a new file with little or no data. Problem seems to scale with files that have lots of lines of text and $ amounts plus different font styles, colors, sizes and such. I have very complex files where this does not happen very much and simple-seeming files where the problem is rather bad. So it is hard for me to pin to a cause. Good luck all. Cheers.

• AK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excel 16.16.4 (181110) still broken.

Scrolling in both Normal view and Page Layout view is nightmarishly slow and choppy with 11000 rows and 37 columns on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) with 16GB of RAM.

lack of mouse control is driving me crazy

1 . It is so inefficient that creating a simple spreadsheet take 3 to 4 times longer. I have good fine motor skills but simply cannot find the sweet spot on the touchpad mouse. Heck, if I wanted to use the touch pad, I would not have purchased a mouse! Is the touchpad style mouse isnt bad enough, the whols page jumps around like a rabbit! Too bad that I cannot turn of the side-to-side scrool or at least slow it down! AAARRRGGHHH! Where's my PC?

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just installed the lates update and scrolling pages down while highlighting the cells still does not work. MS have promised me over the phone this would be fixed a few releases ago. No such luck.

Microsoft should be taken to court over this ridiculous scrolling problem with excel on mac. They are not listening. I am paying subscription every year for a faulty product.

• MKozak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also:
    1) Scrolling also simply breaks unless you toggle Freeze/Unfreeze.
    2) Setting System Preferences-->General to ALWAYS show scrollbars also FAILS in Excel 2016 until/unless you toggle the setting and then they magically appear right in the open document(s).
    How is it MS can't even get something as old, basic and ubiquitous as SCROLLING right consistently? Seriously?!

Feedback and Knowledge Base