Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Restore data form functionality (different from VBA UserForms)

I miss the data form feature available in previous versions of Excel and would like to see it restored in Excel for Mac. Note that the Data Form feature is not the same as VBA UserForms. There's a separate suggestion if you want to vote for VBA UserForms.

236 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jim shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

40 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jason Sweeney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to continue my rant. Making a 1-clickable event a 2 or three clickable event negatively adds 5 to 10 minutes a day on my productivity. Multiply by that by 1-year, and the multiply again by the millions of similarly situated users and you're talking about an economy-level problem.

Seriously. If Microsoft could make every user 5 minutes more productive each work day, Microsoft could single handedly increase worldwide GDP, probably by a measurable amount.

• Jason Sweeney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really Microsoft. The versions of Excel and Word from circa 2000 were better products than your current versions. This loss of UserForms for Microsoft Excel for Mac 2016 defies reason. Yes, a large number of your users only use Excel's built-in functions. But power users use macros and UserForms to accomplish critical work productively.

Here some free advice: (1) empower users to customize their user experience, (2) do so with functionality that involves the fewest clicks possible (* How the "ribbon" was ever conceived as a good idea still baffles... Larger icons = fewer buttons, and I have to go digging for buttons, so what used to be one click on a customized toolbar, now takes multiple clicks to navigate the ribbon, and if I want to customize the ribbon with custom macro buttons, I have to write code in VBA and XML.... unbelievable); (3) when you release "upgrades" to your product, don't downgrade it by removing critical functionality.

I hate to bag on your development and UX team, but really, MS has repeatedly dropped the ball here.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I to was told it was deleted, but I have a friend who is an accountant, and it is in her 365 application. What's up with that?

The Data Entry Form has been an integral part of my spreadsheet for so many years. Please do reinstate it as it is so convenient for entering data quickly on larger spreadsheet. Many thanks.

I am going to cancel my subscription to 365. Why does Microsoft delete such a good feature from Excel. I suppose they think it is progress.

So having read the comments below, if I ditch 365 and buy an old version of Excel / Office, I will have Forms again?
    So those of us who BUY 365 every year, are acting as paying guinea pigs?
    Crazy

• Aidan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sherry if he doesn't want to change his entire operating system, and his Mac has sufficient memory and hard drive space, you could buy Parallels Desktop, download Excel for Windows on that, and then use parallels in coherence mode (which basically let's you run Windows applications on your Mac, as if they were native Mac applications).

• Ben G-C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, add this back. To shortchange so many users of your program is a major misstep, especially with such an essential and useful function.

Let's make a strong current for Excel 2016 on the Mac to be updated with the use of forms. It is very difficult to work like this. Can anyone shed some light on the subject ?: What does Microsoft talk about?
    We buy the Microsoft product also when we use MAC. Please. Look at MAC users.

• Sherry Carter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You have just caused me merciless heartache with my boss. I work as his personal admin, he uses only macBooks and I am in a learning curve and you have made this so hard. I am going back to Windows and he will have to download Windows for mac. Please provide what we need... I . need a fast Userform application.

I need tu use VBA on my Mac. Please fix it, I think in turning back to windows then :/

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back DATA FORM feature. It's impossible to enter data without it.

I am out of words really. Now I am stuck with this ****** 365 I can not use as intended. Please fix. Soon.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base