Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

After upgrade to Office 365, "cut and paste" does not work correctly.

In Excel 2011, if I cut or copied a cell to Clipboard and then inserted a row, I could paste the item in Clipboard into a new cell. With Office 365, if I cut or copy a cell and then do anything such as inserting a row, the Clipboard is erased. This is such a fundamental action in Excel - cutting and pasting - that the "improvement" should be undone. I'd like to know when this fix is accomplished. Thank you.

8 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jay Kaplan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS Excel 365 is ABOSOLUTELY TERRIBLE ON MAC! CUT AND PASTE DO NOT WORK, unusable garbage!

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A simple fix for me involved going to "uninstall programs", clicking on the Office program, and then clicking "change" instead of "uninstall'. Then you have a choice of "repair" or 'reset". Click " reset". Now you should be back to normal.

• Cris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I try to copy from excel and paste into word as I was used to (paste special) both MS Word as Ecel freeze. This is after the most recent office 365 update last week . I am to forced quit the applications and there is no way to share the data between these applications.

• Lucas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ON a mac this is a big issue. It appears Mac users don't get access to the office clipboard and it's options. As such it copy paste between o365 apps doesn't seem to work. I can copy something from a Word document but when I go into an Outlook email and paste (in any manner, with formatting, as a picture, etc) it pastes a VERY old piece of text. I assume that this piece of text is lingering on the Office clipboard but as I can not see the clipboard or it's options I can't do anything about it.

Is there any way to get copy/paste between o365 applications to actually work?

• Rick Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Interesting post from Anonymous today, but to me, a s Mac user, the instructions make no sense. For example, where is the Apps & Features page? Are you are Windows person?

BTW, despite other posters in this thread saying the the cut and paste issue is fixed, I still have issues from time to time. along the the numerous other time-wasting issues of this version of Office, particularly in Excel.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PERHAPS THIS MIGHT BE OF SOME HELP.

CONVERSATION TRANSCRIPT:

MS TECHNICIAN: Hello I am a Microsoft Office technician and I will be helping you today. Please hold on for a few moments while I review your case.

EXCEL USER: Greetings. I don't know what is best I am having a critical issue with my Excel.

MS TECHNICIAN: Which would you prefer. I can help over chat or if you would prefer a person on call we can do that too.

EXCEL USER: Let us try chat that way I have a record, I am disabled so I need to go careful. If I may explain my issue?

MS TECHNICIAN: Of course, please go ahead. Take your time as well.

EXCEL USER: So, I hadn't this problem for the many years I have used Office. An example is that when I enter an function in a cell, and then I copy it and try to paste it to many selected rows, it might paste for a second then I get a popup error message saying something like it can't be pasted then the pasted results disappear and after that, I can't copy and paste. I restart my Excel in safe mode and all is good for one attempt then the problem appears again. I absolutely need my ability to copy and paste in Excel otherwise it has no value to me.

MS TECHNICIAN: Gotcha so what version of Office was this for?

EXCEL USER: I have 365 and it is constantly updated.

MS TECHNICIAN: Perfect so let's try running a repair on this Office shall we. Do you know how to do that?

EXCEL USER: no, I do not.

MS TECHNICIAN: Okay so let's try that. WE will run a QUICK repair on this first so can you open your Apps & Features page please? You can find your App & Features page on the computer settings.

EXCEL USER: I have the Apps & Features screen open.

MS TECHNICIAN: Now find your Office product on there under Microsoft Office 365 and select MODIFY. Then run the QUICK repair please. Is that repair running okay?

EXCEL USER: I am saving my work now.

MS TECHNICIAN: Also, after running the repair if you still get that error message can you give me that full error message please. Awesome take your time.

EXCEL USER: It now says it is repairing.

MS TECHNICIAN: Perfect let me know when that is done.

EXCEL USER: done.

MS TECHNICIAN: Thank you and now can you try that on Excel again please.

EXCEL USER: ok.

MS TECHNICIAN: Also, if you get the same error message can you give me that full error message.

EXCEL USER: Same issue.

MS TECHNICIAN: Gotcha and what was the full error message?

EXCEL USER: Attachment sent:

MS TECHNICIAN: Thank you one moment.

EXCEL USER: Simply in first cell is a value 100, in the next row is just increasing the value above by 1. Then I copy and try to paste for several rows below.

MS TECHNICIAN: Alright so looking this up I found someone with a similar issue on this. Let's try disabling live preview shall we. So can you go to the FILE > OPTIONS > GENERAL. And then on that page uncheck the option under User Interface Options > Enable Live Preview.

EXCEL USER: Enable Live Preview was already checked.

MS TECHNICIAN: Yes, uncheck that please. Then once unchecked restart Excel and let me know if that issue is still there.

MS TECHNICIAN.

EXCEL USER: That seemed to work Please explain why this was? Will it periodically reoccur?

MS TECHNICIAN: So, there must have just been an issue with that live preview and it continuously showing you that error, but can we run one more ‘Quick Repair’ on this just to be sure.

MS TECHNICIAN: Thank you and once that QUICK repair is done again can you let me know and we can try that process again.

EXCEL USER: repairing now. All OK.

MS TECHNICIAN: Thank you thank you.

EXCEL USER: Done.

MS TECHNICIAN: That issue didn't show up again did it?

EXCEL USER: I just tried again, and all seems ok.

I have found that since the Microsoft update over the last few days I cannot cut and paste like I could last week. if I select a cell or number of cells in Excel then go to either Word or a new Outlook email you cannot now use all the paste special features. This is killing my productivity. Any ideas?

• threesa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

June 13, 2018 - this option worked for me to copy cells from excel doc into a word doc. open excel doc, select cells to be copied from the excel doc, right click, click on copy... click within the word doc, right click, paste using 'picture' or 'text' options. I realized if I hover slowly over the 'paste' options, the first few options show nothing until I got to picture and text. then it worked for me. I have office 365, word 2016 and excel 2016. hope that helps...

• Jay Kaplan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft recently did an upgrade to Excel and cut and paste is working exactly as it should.

• Bill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been having the same copy/paste issues between software programs for months and Microsoft doesn’t want to fix the issue or help my troubleshoot. I’m done!

• Jay Kaplan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A recent update from Microsoft seems to have fixed this problem. I no longer have the cut and paste issue. All is OK.

The paste function simply does not work for me in Excel. I copy text from elsewhere (including from other applications) and cannot paste into the cell. It does not work with the keyboard or menu commands. Also, I keep having problems with the cursor position in Excel cells: it just won't "click" at the right spot or right time. Office 2011 was much better... Please fix these problems now!!!

100% Agree. The Clipboard is such an essential feature of spreadsheet work. It is SO inconvenient and inefficient to have to keep going back to re-copy.

Absolutely agree. Essentially, Clipboard has seemingly been abolished. The way cut and paste works now is SO frustrating as it wastes so much time having so many "lost" copies and having to go back and redo them. Please return the Clipboard.

• SC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of my pet hates too, and it's one of the reasons I use Libre Office whenever possible instead.

Feedback and Knowledge Base