108 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Product Owner, Office.com) responded  · 

Good news. This has been fixed and will be available in the 16.12 update. If you get monthly updates, you should be able to update in April. To get the update sooner, you can opt into the Insiders program by going to Help > Check for updates and opt to get the Fast Insider updates.

Thanks – Steve K [MS Excel]

62 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • SimonW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So frustrating ... I wish all software and hardware manufacturers would stop forcing constant changes and updates down our necks. Personally, I would much rather be using Windows XP with Office 2000 than all of the new unnecessary stuff. I don't want more or new features ... I just want it to be more reliable, faster and not have to learn new things.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additionally, recent updates to Excel for Mac prevent me from even selecting On My Mac manually as the window closes spontaneously EVERY TIME. This is so frustrating as to be worth giving up on MS Office products and finding an alternative.

• Timothy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are licensing, which means paying, for the product so we should be able to set the default save to/open from location. If it was freeware, that would be another story.

• Doug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed this is an necessary step - this should be configurable or should default to the MAC. Some industries are prohibited by regulations to use cloud services and must maintain files on internal servers. Please fix it - it's very irritating

• Peter Addison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OpenOffice, GoogleDocs, Pages and Numbers, ... all looking good right now, that extra clicking (and slow it is to respond) makes opening files in Excel totally irritating and counter productive.

• JF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's another vote for returning the default for opening files to my local Mac drive. I have no interest in using OneDrive and the extra pop-up and click is annoying and inefficient. I understand the urge to promote the MS Cloud storage to increase MS profits but a one-time setting or a "never show me this again" option is the most you should force on users. I've not seriously considered switching to Pages before, but this has me on the verge.

Excel for Mac, need to be able to choose my own Dropbox or Mac root documents, instead of Default to OneDrive. I don't even know where I would access OneDrive to turn it off. So PLEASE FIX.

• MBT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

wizbang_fl, you must be quoting instructions from an older version of Excel or the Windows version because there is no option to select a default workbook or default Open/Save location in Excel Mac 2016.

• Signe White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please give the user more control of setting defaults for open, save, and other functions. Always having to click "on my mac" when I want to open a file is a total pain. This current release of Office products (2016) is much harder to use than previous versions and I am less productive because of it. Please stop taking away the user's ability to customize their environment and therefore work efficiently.

• wizbang_fl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

to change the default behavior you have to modify the default template in Excel. This is a convention that is a challenge to realize how to resolve. It is necessary to change the default location in the general preferences in the normal template of excel. "Workbook" Open the workbook template change the values fonts, location for saving documents, (leave the open all documents in this folder blank unless you want everything in that folder to open every time you open excel. When you have these settings configured. Save as leave the title as "workbook" and change the format to workbook template (xltx) Note you need move your document folder to the new location before you save the template. Templates won't move but it seems to validate that the location exists prior to saving the template. once you have saved the template workbook.xltx (note it needs to be with the other templates which is not the same as where your normal documents will be stored.) close the workbook and then quit excel. When you relaunch excel and it opens the template menu it will list the existing documents under the recent selections and saving will refer to the new preferred storage location.

• CJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one frustrated by these recent changes. We can all avoid seeing the OneDrive folders altogether by 'signing out' of our OneDrive account in Word or Excel or OneNote, etc, but then we have to sign in again if we want to access our OneNote notebooks (which can't be moved to another location anymore!!). I'm so fed up with this - thinking of moving away from Microsoft products altogether if they can't fix this for us. Hope more people vote!!

• James Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Location of the preferences plist file has changed with recent versions of 2016. Now you need to use:

/usr/bin/defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.office DefaultsToLocalOpenSave -bool true

But still have the same problem with Excel and the Open dialog. Works for everything else.

Like I said in the last post, nothing going to change with only 47 votes.

Yep, inconsistent here. Excel version 15.33 (170228). Works with Save, but not with Open.

Need heaps more votes if they are even going to consider it.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please give us a default option choice or change the default behavior . Kind of bothersome to have to always click on "On my Mac" every time I need to open a file in finder. Would prefer it to open straight into finder as it use to. Thank you.

The DefaultsToLocalOpenSave setting is for all office applications. It however is not consistent. For build 161019, Word's open and save default to local but for Powerpoint and Excel only save defaults to local.

Be sure all office apps are closed and paste the default write command all on a single line from defaults write through TRUE. What this command does it to write a new key (DefaultsToLocalOpenSave) to the office preference file and sets the value to true.

I have also tried "defaults write ~/Library/Group\ Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/com.microsoft.officeprefs.plist " and it is not working as expected. Can the person suggesting this plist setting please describe how it is working for them?

Microsoft must include a preference setting for the default open/save location to be "On My Mac". I'm using 15.27 and this has still not yet been addressed!

The defaults write command didn't make any difference for me. :-(

(macOS Sierra 10.12.1b2)

There is a plist setting that should make Office apps default to the local drive. In terminal paste the following:

defaults write ~/Library/Group\ Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/com.microsoft.officeprefs.plist DefaultsToLocalOpenSave -bool TRUE

Feedback and Knowledge Base