or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Good news. This has been fixed and will be available in the 16.12 update. If you get monthly updates, you should be able to update in April. To get the update sooner, you can opt into the Insiders program by going to Help > Check for updates and opt to get the Fast Insider updates.

Thanks – Steve K [MS Excel]

61 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my vote. I've wasted 45 minutes I'll never get back trying to figure out how to save my document locally -- and still can't figure out how to do it. VERY FRUSTRATING!

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was given the option to sign out of one (of 5) Microsoft accounts, when I did all 5 OneDrives were removed from my Save As options.

When I signed out all OneDrives were removed from the Open or Save windows. Now I am able to use the SaveAs function and only display my local hard drive.

The signout resolved the issue that I was having where my Excel for Mac 2016 was freezing on Save As and only force quit would allow me to move forward.

• Hugo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bizarre. Surely if Microsoft prevents me from saving on my own computer that is theft of information? Anyway, try switching off wireless, then it defaults to your hard disk....I think.

• TimG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my voice here. Spent hours of time on extra clicks to open files on my own computer having to skip the OneDrive dialog AND even more time spent trying to find a way to change this default preference. Really bad Microsoft

I add my vote too - please make it possible to default to my Mac instead of OneDrive.

I add my vote - please make it possible to default to my Mac instead of OneDrive.

I want to save my Excel files in my IMac, but the latest conversions go to OneDrive, which I cannot find in my computer.

Has this been fixed or addressed yet? Microsoft, I have been a loyal Office user for decades. I recently purchased a new MAC and purchased Office Home & Business 2016. This One Drive default when opening files is annoying and confusing. Please correct this or make it easily configurable. I also work with and open many spreadsheets during my sessions. Thank you.

Another vote here. I spend all day opening spreadsheets, and this is two extra clicks each time. Will be looking for alternative products.

• Carl Fino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote for allowing users to save directly to the local drive and skip the horrid OneDrive stupidity. No Microsoft, we don't want to be force-fed OneDrive!!!!

• Doug Watson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After googling for a fix to this obviously awful issue, and finding that many others have the same frustration with no easy fix, I've just crossed the line and will start using google sheets. sorry Microsoft, but this is egregious!

• Nameer Baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an obnoxious hoop to force your users to jump through if they don't make use of OneDrive. Please resolve this issue, especially since it is obviously a bug - it is possible to get the desired local location to be the default save and open file location in Word, but it is only possible to have it be the default save location in Excel, not the default open file location. This is particularly annoying given that Excel is productivity-driven software, and therefore efficiency should be factored heavily into its design.

I totally agree. From a interface design point of view totally unnecessary if you know that the user does only open and/or store files locally (--> e.g., keystroke level model, it just takes the user longer to perform the required action). I'd highly appreciate if someone implements this as a feature!

There are some hints on partly being able to do this, but it only works for storing files, not for opening files: https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/17045/office-2016-default-save-dialog-mode

• BJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I couldn't have said it better than JF. This is frustrating enough to make me begin to look for alternatives. Here's another vote for returning the default for opening files to my local Mac drive. I have no interest in using OneDrive and the extra pop-up and click is annoying and inefficient. I understand the urge to promote the MS Cloud storage to increase MS profits but a one-time setting or a "never show me this again" option is the most you should force on users. I've not seriously considered switching to Pages before, but this has me on the verge. SAME FOR ME! BJ

• SimonW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So frustrating ... I wish all software and hardware manufacturers would stop forcing constant changes and updates down our necks. Personally, I would much rather be using Windows XP with Office 2000 than all of the new unnecessary stuff. I don't want more or new features ... I just want it to be more reliable, faster and not have to learn new things.

Feedback and Knowledge Base