Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Font/Zoom size difference between Mac and PC

Different Font/Cell sizes between PC and Mac are driving me crazy.
In order to view Excel sheets created on a PC in an appropriate size I always have to set the zoom value to 130% on my Mac. When I send these sheets back the PC guys they are annoyed because they have to change the zoom back to 100%
I know this is an oooold "problem" between Mac and PC and the 72 dpi / 96 dpi difference but please there is no reason to finally get this sorted out.

12 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Marco shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem has been resolved in Word and PowerPoint for quite some time (ie. Mac versions now display at 96dpi). Seems like Excel has been forgotten about in making this change.

• Richard Tench commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Over the years it's been very consistent: text viewed on Windows at 100% is much larger and more readable than text viewed on the Mac at 100%. Although there is minor variability on the same platform, the difference *between* the two platforms is immense. I support changing the Mac version so that 100% becomes what is typical at 130% now.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Clarifying this issue,
    With different screen resolution in different computers, I've always had to adjust zoom, even between macs or pc's. Of the 25 or so PC's I've bought over the last 15 years for my office (since I replaced everything in 2002), we probably have a half dozen different resolutions in screen sizes from about 10"to 24", and people tend to use what suits them or their eyesight. And the two Macs have different resolutions, so I always have to zoom sheets from the other one.

The issue seems like it is more the size of the pixel that causes different column widths fitting of text in the cells.

Feedback and Knowledge Base