Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Allow exporting of Sharepoint lists

It would be great if you could export a Sharepoint list to Excel for Mac. At present you have to use Excel on a PC - as I believe this requires some kind of ActiveX component.

125 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

David Holroyd shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion and the votes. We will continue to monitor the votes to help prioritize this along with other data connection requests. You may want to add a comment about connecting to SharePoint in the thread discussing PowerQuery.

Steve K [MS Excel]

15 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Emmitt Houston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why wouldn't MSFT want to make the user experience as seamless as possible in their products regardless of OS. Productivity within the product shouldn't be restricted to your operating system. I understand that if it truly were that easy they would have done it. Being someone who uses the product cross-platform, it's annoying to run into constant "gotcha's".

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you Export a list from SharePoint it creates a .iqy file which Excel for Mac cannot use to import the list from SharePoint. Please add this or at provide a workaround for Mac users.
    Thanks
    Nick

• cdsmythe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In our Education community we run SharePoint across all schools for students, parents and staff. We also have a mix of Windows and Mac users. Having the same functionality to Export to Excel from a SharePoint List on both platforms would be logical. Its a common need we have and this has been requested for years now in SharePoint and Excel forums. The delay isnt making Mac users switch to Windows its making our users switch from SharePoint to locally saved spreadsheets.

• Trevor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's hard to get buy-in to make use of SharePoint lists and workflows if the data is then 'trapped' within SharePoint and can't be exported to excel (users sure love to put things in excel).

Frankly, I'm flabbergasted that this isn't seen as more of an issue. We're an all Mac shop, trying to make O365 work for us, but obnoxious issues like this really throw a wrench into things.

• Steve Hancock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a large client and the staff are staggered that it is not possible to export a SharePoint list to Excel on a Mac. As a Microsoft Partner I feel extremely embarrassed and am at a loss to even start trying to explain it. As Mitch mentioned - this should not need a vote - it is blindingly obvious.

• Mitch Cohen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear friends at Microsoft. Votes should not be ncessary for this. It should be obvious that this is needed. I'm not sure what PowerQuery is or why one needs to look there. We need to be able to export data from a Sharepoint list. Period. Frankly, this should be independent of Excel.

• Robin Thakur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to work properly across platforms (as per Microsoft's current mantra) I was totally shocked that such basic functionality that has existed forever in the SharePoint world has been stripped out on a Mac. This won't get users to install Windows, I will get them to dump SharePoint.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have spent hours on this looking for a workaround, but it doesn't exist. The fact that Mac users are unable to perform a very simple function like exporting lists to excel is staggering. This is a very basic function and shouldn't be exclusive to Windows users. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

• George commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Upvote this. I somehow managed to get the .igy file but it won't open in excel it is greyed out.

• Adam Duggan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can actually download the .iqy file successfully on Mac, but then Excel needs to be able to connect back to SharePoint to query that external data source. That doesn't work. This is an important feature to support for people on the Mac to be able to make use of SharePoint lists.

Feedback and Knowledge Base