Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Selecting a cell with Mouse doesn't always work

I have a great deal of trouble with the mouse click in Excel (Version 15.22). I have to move the mouse out of the cell I'm working in, click on a cell far away from it several times, and then come back and try it again.

This is never an issue with Excel (Version 14.6.4). I'd like to use the later version but it's too difficult to use with the cell selection issue.

45 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

R Mora shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
info needed  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Product Owner, Office.com) responded  · 

We are working on a known issue where selection is not aligned correctly if you are using Page Layout View and you have some rows set to repeat on all pages. If you scroll down beyond page one, sometimes the selection becomes misaligned. If you are seeing problems in other scenarios, it would be helpful to provide a more detailed description of what you’re seeing and the steps that lead up to the issue.

You can submit feedback including screen shots by clicking the Smiley face button near the top right corner of the Excel window. You could also ask a question on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel, which may help determine exactly what steps cause the issue.

Steve K [MS Excel]

89 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Xu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue in Mac! I can't believe that the Microsoft didn't fix the problem for three years. Please! It is very annoying.

• anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

check your display resolution if it is scaling to another monitor of different size. Needs to be set as the default resolution for that display and NOT scaled

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

has there been any update on when this issues is going to be fixed?

For everyone else i've found a helpful work-around is to unmaximise the screen and maximis again, seems to reset it for a period of time. Still annoying tho!

it makes working quickly impossible!

• Frustrated In SEA. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue. I try clicking on a cell and it opens a different cell. When I type, it deletes/replaces cell contents. Esc. Even when I miraculously get a curser into the correct cell, the cell opens and appears a couple of rows about so I am never confident what I'm typing is going into the correct cell.

• Margaret commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

cannot just highlight a group of cells with my mouse to print...excel use to be my go to will switch to something else, very disappointed....

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem. Very frustrating. Makes working with this software so hard, but I have no choice but to keep trying. Fix it please...

• Janice Pickwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Excel: The LogiTech M310 mouse has a great deal of difficulty selecting columns on the Column Headings (A, B, C, etc), for columns I want to hide. The file is a download from the bank, they send a ton of extraneous info.
    I'n in normal view. I'm in Compatibility mode, using Office 365

I'm pretty sure I am having trouble with the mouse using my online trading platform (TOS) selecting as well, just not quite as bad. and even typing this message it won't select, it starts and jumps around.

I tried using the mouse pad on the laptop, thinking it could be the mouse, but it was worse.
    I'm running a Toshiba Intel Core, i7-6500U CPU 2.5Ghz. 64bit, x64 based processor. Windows 10 home.

I'm not sure how to look for conflicting mouse software, but will research more as this has become a time consuming problem

I am beyond frustrated in the inability to select cells from excel and copy them into word, email, etc. I was able to do this so easily "before". Not sure what's going on but I do NOT LIKE IT! Please fix asap!

It's now May 2019 and they still haven't fixed this problem in the latest version. Microsoft, please get your act together or you will be left behind.

With Office 365, I have to left click just to select the cell. When I left click it, it brings up the full formula description in the cell rather than just selecting it.

• Ricardo Alonso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue in Normal page layout view. Excel 16.23 Office 365 for Mac. I read the part of rows repeating. I assume this would be the Freeze Frames feature, which I had turned on for the top row. I turned it off and now I can select cells. But my spreadsheet has more than 1000 rows and I can longer see the headers without scrolling all the way up. Why this bug hasn't been fixed in over 3 years is beyond me.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Me too..very frustrating...can't select a cell with the mouse. Usually when I click on a cell a cell in a different location is highlighted and I have to use keyboard arrows to get where I want. Also causes problems when trying to select and drag contents.

If you're so smart Microsoft, why can't you fix this...more interested in Windows world????

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still happening - I am using office 365 pro plus version 1808. When I click in a cell - it highlights a completely different cell. I have to use arrow keys to select the correct cell. This is very difficult to work and also creates a problem when trying to use filters as I cant click the cell with the filter arrow. Is there an update to resolve this?

• Antoine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem here,

Last version of excel and MacOS on brand new iMacs.
    Lots of sheets do bug a lot with the same selection problem.

This problem exists for more than 2 years on Mac and has never been fixed.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING !

• Pauline commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

28-03-2019 -- SAME PROBLEM ..Doing a simple formula, ie: =sum( .. place the cursor on the first cell, left mouse, drag down to the end. ie: C1 to C10 .. needs numerous attempts to highlight all the cells in the range, then when it does, will unselect C1 to C9, and just have C10 selected. If you want to get a total without using a formula, again left mouse then drag, if either unselects the cells or ask if you want to move the cells -- which I DON'T.

Tried .. Normal, Page Break Preview & Page Layout View. Above occurs irrespective of which "View" selected

This is a BUG with recent updates and as noted by other VERY FRUSTRATED users of Excel, someone needs to FIX

• anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

same problem. Why the F do updates coming with annoying bugs EVERY **** TIME!

Been having this problem for a while. Still happening - makes working extremely frustrating

Having the same issue, I have to click multiple times or click something else first in order to select something. It's very frustrating when you are trying to be accurate inputting data! Sometimes first few numbers/letters of what I type does not appear as well.

• rene van Erk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am on Win10 (on surface laptop) and since a few days I have the exact same problem.
    Office16, Excel version 1902, build 11328, build 20146.
    Freeze/Unfreeze briefly resolves the issue.
    No updates available
    Only happens in 1 sheet of a workbook with 6 sheets. Workbook does contain quite a bit of data.
    Interestingly it happens in the sheet that does <NOT> have panes frozen. All other workbooks - for now - do not have problems.
    Please help, makes Excel unworkable

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base