Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Selecting a cell with Mouse doesn't always work

I have a great deal of trouble with the mouse click in Excel (Version 15.22). I have to move the mouse out of the cell I'm working in, click on a cell far away from it several times, and then come back and try it again.

This is never an issue with Excel (Version 14.6.4). I'd like to use the later version but it's too difficult to use with the cell selection issue.

38 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

R Mora shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    info needed  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

We are working on a known issue where selection is not aligned correctly if you are using Page Layout View and you have some rows set to repeat on all pages. If you scroll down beyond page one, sometimes the selection becomes misaligned. If you are seeing problems in other scenarios, it would be helpful to provide a more detailed description of what you’re seeing and the steps that lead up to the issue.

You can submit feedback including screen shots by clicking the Smiley face button near the top right corner of the Excel window. You could also ask a question on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel, which may help determine exactly what steps cause the issue.

Steve K [MS Excel]

64 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Reid Hart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep, this is a real problem. Occurs all the time. Both on my work computer with xl 2016 and on my personal computer with 365.
        Seems to occur after xl has been up and running for a while, with multiple workbooks open.
        Cannot click inside cell to edit. work around is to go to another tab or workbook and click in another cell, then come back.
        Once this starts happening, seems to happen about every 5th to 10th cell selected.
        Closing all open workbooks and reopening will give relief for a while.

Please fix this - makes google docs look worthwhile!

• imiehulu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

error is simple: while dragging across say 10 cells to copy them, when the left button is released selection of those 10 disapears and only last cell is active. Sometimes it works ok when repeated slowly second or third time
        In other cases selection of a cell jumps several cells away. Really anoying. I start searching after this problem when could not select a row five times.

• DAVID HULINGS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SAME PROBLEM IN 16.16.4
        I have to click multiple times in a cell for the cell to become active. It does the same thing on multiple computers and mice.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been encountering the same issue as Dorelle Rawlings and Rick Lawrence. This is a new problem for me, though I have been using Excel 2016 for a few years.

• Rick Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue (among many associated with selecting cells) as Dodelle Rawlings. More often than not, if I want to copy a formula to a column of cells that is longer than the window, I cannot do it because I cannot drag beyond the bottom of the window. The same thing happens if I want to fill a row wider than the window. Just one of a zillion time wasters in this awful version of Excel.

• Dorelle Rawlings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having trouble selecting cells and then dragging down to lines past the bottom of the window to select an area to print. Sometimes it does it, sometimes the selection bounces back to the initial line selected. And once it completely screwed up the file, corrupting all the rows that were past the bottom of the window - good thing I could go get a backup. What's with 2016? 2011 Excel worked fine.

I have this problem, too. Excel for the Mac 2016 is extraordinarily buggy. In short, it sucks. I had no problems with Excel 2011 for the Mac.

• Kibru Mamusha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have experienced an awkward Ms Excel and word behavior. I start selecting cells or texts in word with a mouse. The selection keeps going endlessly until I click it again. It is annoying to click twice first to start the selection and the second click to end the selection. Why it keeps selecting when I wanted to stop it and do some other commands on the selections?

I'm having the same issue, cells wont select properly with a single left click; single left clicking an already selected cell instantly opens the cell for data entry; left click & dragging, frequently doesn't select the correct range of cells or opens the fist cell for data entry. Please fix this NOW, or I'm going back to Open Office, at least they address user issues!

• Albo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey, I am using Page Layout View in an excel document (v 15.35) on a Mac (10.13.4) and I have set rows to repeat on all pages.
        Sometimes, while working the selection becomes misaligned.
        If I select cell C60 for example (using the mouse), the active cell is actually the cell C64, and it’s getting frustrating to make sure I am using the correct cell before getting work done.

For now, I am copy pasting the whole document into a new worksheet and working on it on a normal layout view, and then I plan on refining it later to a page layout view and making the rows appear on each page, then rearranging the beginning of each page to report balances correctly, which is quite a hassle.
        Please let me know if this bug has been fixed, or if there is an easier way to deal with this issue.. so I can keep getting some work done.

I have been having a problem clicking on cells for a while now, I thought it was me............
        I have been closing the program and/or shutting down. It's getting to be too much though.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

really simple, I find that a window resize, specifically to a ultra-wide but short height ratio (>16:9) breaks the window. Also I am noticing more on second dual monitor, office for MAC 2016 vers. Also notice color wheels with system font previews on High Sierra.

Also, as a designer using XLS for spec sheets and selecting copywriter input the Wacom with office 2016 is a hole other nightmare, I have latest tablet drivers etc.....but cant even navigate cells or select text with the selection cursor. I am unable to use XLS in my work at the moment.

• Alfons Geurts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sierra 10.12.6 still and now updated Excel to 16:14.1 the problem has appeared less often.

Steve K's analysis seems to be correct on the situations in which it appeared in my case.

Currently there are difficulties getting to the cell if I just had a copy paste of a line of cells, that in the recently inserted cells I could not pinpoint the cell directly. I first had to somehow get out of the selection before it allowed me into the specific cell.

Installing Excel 2011 on Sierra is probably possible but leads to other issues. The reason I went to 2016 was a continuous request by all office applications to load some fonts, even if they where downloaded they were asked for again and again.

To Microsoft: It would help us users if you could explain what caused these misalignments. Probably some Apple code changed by which the Microsoft code was not working anymore. It explains a bit why it is so difficult to keep the code working.

Another issue what I found that seems to influence the selectivity of the cells had to do with fonts sizes in the cell itself when editing (kept given size) versus editing the cell content in the line under the controls, there the font sizes became the same as the size in the cell?. In that line the size would be irrespective of the actual size in the cell right ?

I hope to get cell selection and font sizing as stable again as in Excel 2011.

I have many of the same issues that people have posted here. For some reason, Microsoft is not addressing these simple issues in Excel 2016 that were not issues in Excel 2011. Does anyone know if it's possible to install Excel 2011 onto a Mac running Excel 2016 without messing things up? I need to get work done and find it virtually impossible to do so in Excel 2016.

• mwarren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have been having issues as well since I started using a Mac the last year - two different macs, different versions of Excel and OS.
        FIX THIS!!!! Never had this issue on a PC. Current document restarted 5 times in the last hour because of this problem.

• ciaran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey I have the same issue, thought it was only me but at least it is good to see there are others effected by this. Original post and reply is from June 2016, over 2 years ago. I just bought and installed Excel 16.11.1 recently but this issue still isn't fixed? Any update on this problem, because it is a problem and a major pain in the ****.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base