Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Excel for Mac (2016) is very unstable and I often loose work and have to restart.

Unless Excel for Mac becomes stable, I will only use it on Windows and revert to other sw on the mac such as google docs, etc.

67 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

J Nasser shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Product Owner, Office.com) responded  · 

We’ve been working on numerous fixes for specific crashes, and we monitor for crash reports so that we can continue to make improvements over the coming releases.

Thanks – Steve K [MS Excel]

26 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Remy Verhoeven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am wondering if this messageboard is actively monitored and moderated by Microsoft. I don't see a reference to this messageboard on their official website. ...

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

just installed update to Office 15.30 (170104) (part of slow update) and Excel seems to hold for now - doing massive Pivot's with vLookup - was freezing before...will work through end of today and see what happens..so far so good

• Remy Verhoeven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I experience the same problem since the last update. IN FACT I have reinstalled Office for Mac entirely and was back to a snappy experience. However, not knowing the update was the issue, I again installed the update and went back to freezing and pinwheels. I will go through the hassle of reinstalling again, but please update us here when there is a definite fix.

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely concur! Excel has become completely useless since the last update! I receive the spinning "MAC pinwheel of death" every time I try to do anything in Excel. Just clicking on a new cell causes the program to think for at least 30 seconds to 2 minutes. It is completely frustrating! I paid a lot of money for these MS programs and to have them not work because of what is obviously a software bug is a problem and will be in the back of my mind the next time I have to purchase an Office product.

• Michele commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this. Excel for Mac has hit a point where it is essentially useless. I have to save after every cell change, sort, filter, etc.... Excel freezes constantly, it crashes or you have to force the application to quit. This happens not just on a daily basis, but over and over again each day. It kills my productivity.

I understand when it's a large workbook with multiple sheets and many formulas and conditional formatting, etc... But this happens if I have a large table and all I want to do is filter or sort the data, no formulas, no special formatting, etc.... If I need to work in a spreadsheet and analyze large amounts of data, it should just work.

This seems to have gotten worse since the last Excel for Mac update. Please fix this ASAP!

I have OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6. Excel for Mac Version 15.29.1 (161215)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

excel keeps freezing! I have to force quit and have reentered the same lines multiple times as a result. FRUSTRATING!

2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base