Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Excel for Mac (2016) is very unstable and I often loose work and have to restart.

Unless Excel for Mac becomes stable, I will only use it on Windows and revert to other sw on the mac such as google docs, etc.

67 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

J Nasser shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

We’ve been working on numerous fixes for specific crashes, and we monitor for crash reports so that we can continue to make improvements over the coming releases.

Thanks – Steve K [MS Excel]

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excel restarts while instructed to perform a task as simple as coloring cells. I have wasted an incredible amount of resources for this recently. The Excel team should get on top of this NOW. I am using the 2016 version for Mac and it's almost 2019 and no reaction seen at all. Does anyone know whether there is any type of update available that could fix this?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Excel OFTEN locks up, but doesn't "crash" so no report to send. I have to go to the top menu and SVE the document to get it working again (hitting the icon to save does not do it.) Also, resizing the zoom at bottom right of the excel screen sometimes fixes into Very frustrating. I have to have five-ten live spreadsheet open at all times and this drives me nuts.

I have Excel for Mac v16.13 - working on a table with 438 rows and 32 columns of data. Insert Worksheet, Insert Pivot Table --> FREEZE!

Argghh!!! CANNOT create a Pivot Table!!??

I also experience crashes over something as simple as highlighting a row and the table moves around (shakes) I tap my mouse on the table to stop it so I can move my mouse/cursor where I want it. I have paid vs 15.14 and tried to find an update and it said no update available. Now I read some people updated to vs 15.30 so there is one but MS is letting me get it. I was getting emails about my subscription needing renewal but I don't have one. MS wants to seriously force people to their subscripton online app. They do have another MAC paid version 2019 coming out I read end of 2018 but they have changed the support terms so FYI. I don't want a subscription based app because I don't want to depend on the internet for functionality which can only add more problems that MS will be able to blame on the IPS. If MS forces me to I will just stay with the MAC office then.

• TJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too am experiencing severe crashes that are unrecoverable. I've been a user of Excel since the 80's. I just recently "upgraded" to Excel 2016 for Mac and it is much less stable than the 2011 version. I'm using VBA some of the time and have been having Excel crash and lose all of my code and changes. It seems to recover the files, but then overwrites my existing file with a file that cannot be opened. Excel complains of corruption and permission issues, but external permissions are fine.

• Mark Wigglesworth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excel often crashes for me. I suspect one of the causes is when using more than one display.
        Do crash dumps get accessed analysed?

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have so many grievances that I don't know where to start.

1. First of all, the Excel is very unstable. Excel keeps freezing and it basically disables my enter Mac. I end up force quitting Excel and Mac works fine. First I thought it might be something to do with Office 365 and ended up investing more in Office 2016. Same issue.

2. When I move the cursor from one cell to another, the whole sheet starts wobbling. I tried maxing the window, it worked for a short time and then back to the same.

3. Even a simple find/replace is not available in VBA
        3. Excel freezes even after a simple operation like cut/paste, find/replace etc.

I simply can't use this product. It is so disappointing that I am considering moving entirely away from Excel and use Python/Tableau instead.

For data analysts, this is simply not acceptable. I have lost so much time trying to figure this out but it ended up being a waste of my productivity and time. No company should be able to get away with it, let alone MS. It is a real shame

• Emily commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Incredible number of bugs disrupt basic operations. When I copy-paste a cell containing 5 characters, I expect to see the pasted cell, not a blank cell. I have to scroll up and down to see the contents of the pasted cell. This is a BASIC operation and I've complained about this since January but Microsoft refuses to fix it! Mac users should be charged significantly less because we receive bastardized versions of the windows office suite.

I hate this program. It worked better when I had a really old computer. No reason why a modern program and computer have reached the point of being unusable. SHAME ON MICROSOFT for ignoring all of these complaints and releasing more junk every year. Updates are supposed to help, but it seems like MS wants to cripple our computers.

• Andrew Mullins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here. Excel constantly crashes. Same with one note. This is on a core i7 machine with 16gbs of ram and a 512gb SSD. Not like I have speed or resource issues.

• Michele commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey, just installed the new update Version: 15.30.0 (Build 17010700). While I wouldn't call it zippy, I am seeing noticeable improvement. Monday will be the true test.

I think the real issue is related to Excel for Mac 2016 not utilizing multiple cores. Here is a link to another issue specific to this:

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac/suggestions/9472407-will-excel-for-mac-2016-utilize-multiple-cores-on

Please vote for it if you haven't already and hopefully they'll get this sorted. So much for parity across platforms.

Anyone try the new update Version: 15.30.0 (Build 17010700)? Has it helped?

• tphung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue. I have El Capitan w/ MS 2016. Excel 2016 is super slow when I do drag formula to new row or any copy paste action. Is there a fix for this?

takes 30-60 seconds to write in an empty cell or switch between sheets. Spend a lot of time looking at the pinwheel. Tried everything I could find. Had to buy a pc (ugh) this weekend so that I can work. Spend too much time in excel to have these issues. Will use my mac at home so I don't have to bring my computer home now so would love to see a fix soon. Still live in excel.

• Charles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a new iMac that is running Sierra 10.12.2 and I am constantly and consistently have a non responsive message as I look at the Activity Monitor Utility while working in Excel, mac 2011 (version 14.7.1). I has worked previously without any issue, but all of a sudden it is really becoming a problem. I had tried the newer version with great distaste and fell back to the older proven version. But the 2011 (version 14.7.1) is really getting difficult. Please advise as to what can be done about this. Also while operating in Excel there is nothing else loaded into the system. So it is Excel only.

• Remy Verhoeven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am wondering if this messageboard is actively monitored and moderated by Microsoft. I don't see a reference to this messageboard on their official website. ...

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

just installed update to Office 15.30 (170104) (part of slow update) and Excel seems to hold for now - doing massive Pivot's with vLookup - was freezing before...will work through end of today and see what happens..so far so good

• Remy Verhoeven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I experience the same problem since the last update. IN FACT I have reinstalled Office for Mac entirely and was back to a snappy experience. However, not knowing the update was the issue, I again installed the update and went back to freezing and pinwheels. I will go through the hassle of reinstalling again, but please update us here when there is a definite fix.

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely concur! Excel has become completely useless since the last update! I receive the spinning "MAC pinwheel of death" every time I try to do anything in Excel. Just clicking on a new cell causes the program to think for at least 30 seconds to 2 minutes. It is completely frustrating! I paid a lot of money for these MS programs and to have them not work because of what is obviously a software bug is a problem and will be in the back of my mind the next time I have to purchase an Office product.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base