How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Fix the Broken Carat in the Formula Bar

The formula bar in Excel is horrendously broken. The carat randomly skips around and you cannot highlight text properly which makes it impossible to accurately edit formulas. This is especially heinous with long formulas, however this occurs with formulas OF ANY LENGTH.

Here is a video of this infuriating behavior:

https://vimeo.com/165402559

63 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris SChris S shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jane BensonJane Benson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm another casualty of this bug. It's impossible to work efficiently when the cursor doesn't position right. The problem has been know for so long. Is there still no fix for this? I'm running version 15.30. Just bought it at the end of 2016, and "hate it."

• IlyaIlya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue is really annoying, along with the absence of multicore support and lots of other annoying stuff

• Rick H.Rick H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Problem appears to be fixed in the 15.25 build, *IF* the formula bar already has focus.

If the formula bar does *NOT* have focus, clicking it will put the text cursor where you clicked it *after* the bar is updated with color highlighting, which reduces the spacing between characters. So the text cursor ends up right where you clicked the bar, although the position in the formula where you *intended* the cursor to end up has now shifted somewhat to the left due to the condensed character spacing. For longer formulas, this means you could be several characters off.

• JulieJulie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Extreme frustration! I have this happen quite often and have extremely long formulas as well.

• Jack GJack G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue! I thought I was the only one! 2015 MacBook Pro 13"

Feedback and Knowledge Base