Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Fix Solver after update 15.19.1

After the update 15.19.1 the picking problem is fixed. But now solver don't work anymore. When you try to solve a problem nothing happens.
Please fix this!!

24 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Peter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Several issues with Solver have been fixed since this suggestion was posted, so I am marking this post as completed. If specific issues are noticed, please post the details about what you are seeing. More detail is better, so that we can try to reproduce and investigate the issue.

Steve K [MS Excel]

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using excel for mac 2016 (ver 15.28). Solver freezes on opening on a sheet where solver worked just fine a couple of days ago. Active field upon opening can be edited but everything else does not respond.

• Eric Tucker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are on version 15.27 in Excel 2016 for MAC. Solver works inconsistently on different MAC systems. Is there any way to determine which systems are not functioning correctly? Is there a fix? Bottomline, I have lots of students using MACs for intro to optimization and they have little confidence in the answers produced. Opensolver works for many of the systems but not all. My Windows students always get the correct solutions for Simplex LP problems. I appreciate any recommendations that anyone has experienced to solve this problem. Thanks Eric

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So since the issue affects only non-english users, fix can be postponed indefinitely?

Dan said you'll try to fix it by March but June is almost over. Could you guys give us at least update, please?

Hi,

I have an exam in 3 weeks where I need the solver to work (economics class). I haven't seen it working properly since the launch of the new office 2016 for mac.
        It has been almost 5 months and nothing seems to happen, the answer given to change the language is not a solution. I find it very disrespectful not to give any news on this, and to give an update which doesn't work or only changes the problem (see the suggestion "Make the solver work! (Input boxes should use the reference/range picker)")

In french we call this "foutage de gueule".

I did the same as Tom in the end, rolled back to MS Office 2011 where there is a working solver.
        I know it takes time to solve bugs, but come on... Should I start a bugfixing dance everyday to make it happen?

Regards

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

June 15th and Solver is still not working. I have found solution - downgrading to MS Office 2011.

• BERSILLON commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SOlver used to work fine in old versions of office. It is NOT working properly in current versions (ms office 2011 and its updates. Besides, why having to change language to english? is MS a trojan horse to impose english and PCs with Windows OS as the only viable language for computer users? Move you butt MS and FIX THE BUGS IN YOUR EXPENSIVE SOFTWARES!!

• Andres Perez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Solver still not working. I have always had my Mac and Office in english so I'm still waiting for a solution.

• Bert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Solver still doesn't work properly. t works in old spreadsheets, where the solver is already set-up, but it doesn't in newly made spreadsheets, where is new solver set-up is defined.

• James Spotanski (Microsoft Excel) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you still see the issue "Solver.xlam" is already open, you can try disabling and re-enabling the add-in.

1. Go to Tools > Excel Add-ins
        2. Uncheck "Solver Add-in"
        3. Click "Accept"
        4. Go to Tools > Excel Add-ins
        5. Check "Solver Add-in"
        6. Click "Accept"

That should reset Solver in the current language

Hope this helps,
        James

• Luiz Xavier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does anybody know when Microsoft will fix this problem? At least are they working to fix it?

Same problem. Even changed the language, Solver still not working. Now we have the update 19.20 and the problems still remains.

• Inês Mesquita commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,
        I've already changed my OS X language to English-US as you advised, but now every time I try to use Solver it always displays the error ""Solver.xlam" is already open" you mentioned. I keep restarting Excel but it doesn't work!!! Please help!

Anyone knows when Microsoft will release a new version of Office 2016 for Mac, that solves all these problems?

I am using the US/English in system preferences, and once I did the upgrade for my Excel on my Mac, several formulas in my spreadsheet no longer update when I change inputs. Please fix this asap. I also have the following problems:
        1) when I freeze panes, the frozen columns and rows are duplicating
        2) when I scroll up to see the cells a formula is referencing, the cells don't highlight like the normally do
        Thanks!

when you try tu run Excel, it switch from Automatic to Manual how the formulas are calculated... So it doesn't work.....
        Please fix it!!!!

• James Spotanski (Microsoft Excel) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi everyone,
        This issue only seems to affect non-English versions of Excel. If you need to use Solver right now, you can switch to the English version by changing your OS X language and restarting Excel. To do this:
        1. Open System Preferences
        2. Open Language and Region
        3. Click the “+” sign in Preferred languages
        4. Add English – US
        5. Drag English to the top of your Preferred languages.
        6. Now quit Excel (cmd+Q) and restart it - Excel should now be in English.
        7. Once you see Excel in English, quit it a second time (cmd+Q)
        8. Start Excel

Solver should be working now! If you see an error that says "Solver.xlam" is already open, you can fix this by quitting Excel (cmd+Q) and restarting it.

Thank you all for your help identifying this issue - we'll do our best to get it fixed in the next update in March

-James

• Kris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really frustrating! Please fix it asap. Solver is now even worse than before because you can't use it to anything.

Feedback and Knowledge Base