Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Freeze Panes broken in 15.19.1

Frozen rows and columns scroll into the unfrozen area at the top and left when scrolling to the top row or leftmost column. After scrolling into the frozen cells, clicking the the top or leftmost unfrozen cell selects multiple cells equal to the number of frozen rows and columns.

39 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

M Donovan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Dan Battagin [MS XL] responded  · 

This is fixed as of 15.20, which was released in May (so if you haven’t updated, please do!)

Cheers,
Dan [MS]

older—————————————-

Hi all,

We know that this broke in 15.19.1, and we’ve got a fix that will be in 15.20.

Sorry for the inconvenience. It should be that once you scroll down, so that the duplicated rows are no longer shown, they won’t be shown again.

Cheers,
Dan [MS]

30 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, I thought I was the only one having this. Was searching for "frozen cell duplication" or "frozen cell display issue"

This version of excel is definitely great looking but I keep going back to Excel 2011 (v14) from time to time due to the crashes/display issues.

Before this latest update this problem still occurred from time to time - I'd have to quit the program, then re-open the file and issue would go away.

• Marcelo Lombardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually, global spreadsheet auto calculate is also broken in 15.19.1. Select another tab and come back show correct values. Kind of unacceptable basic stupid bug.

• Amber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! Need to freeze BOTH rows and columns, and the current version will not allow both, only one or the other. It was perfect when you could just drag the little box up and/or down to where you wanted to freeze, and then select freeze. I don't know why things get more complicated/harder as they're updated.

• James Spotanski (Microsoft Excel) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all,
    This is fixed in the next version (15.20) that will make it to you all in March. In the meantime, you can "snap" the frozen content back into the freeze pane by clicking in any of the duplicated rows or columns.

Apologies for the inconvenience,
    James

• Kels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This problem is quite frustrating and defeats the purpose of freeze panes as the screen can taken up by the selected range. The 'frozen panes' are duplicated and display adjacent to the freeze panes view when scrolling and using worksheets. Please correct and freeze/lock the selected rows/columns from then displaying when scrolling.

2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base