Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Freeze Panes broken in 15.19.1

Frozen rows and columns scroll into the unfrozen area at the top and left when scrolling to the top row or leftmost column. After scrolling into the frozen cells, clicking the the top or leftmost unfrozen cell selects multiple cells equal to the number of frozen rows and columns.

39 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

M Donovan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Dan Battagin [MS XL] responded  · 

This is fixed as of 15.20, which was released in May (so if you haven’t updated, please do!)

Cheers,
Dan [MS]

older—————————————-

Hi all,

We know that this broke in 15.19.1, and we’ve got a fix that will be in 15.20.

Sorry for the inconvenience. It should be that once you scroll down, so that the duplicated rows are no longer shown, they won’t be shown again.

Cheers,
Dan [MS]

30 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Hugo Hensley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm still having this problem, and also the problem with the mouse clicks being offset by the width of the frozen panes. Updated recently, although unsure how to find which version I am using.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having a similar problem that is probably related to this one. When I have one column frozen, mouse clicks often appear to be offset by one column. For example, I'll click somewhere on column H, but the click will register on column G. This bug has only happened intermittently, but it is similar to other problems I've had with freeze panes on early versions of Excel 2016 for Mac.

• AdminDan Battagin [MS XL] (Admin, Office.com) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Maximus - this is working for me. When you're freezing columns, the column to the left of the selected cell is the one that will be frozen, so be sure to select a cell that's not in column A.

If you're still having trouble, then the Mac Answers forumn is the right place to ask:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2016-macexcel?sort=lastreplydate&dir=desc&tab=threads&status=all&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&threadType=all&tm=1458590760465

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

• maximus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 15.21.1. I am unable to freeze column on a worksheet. Freeze rows works as expected.

Is this a general problem?

• Ant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just installed this latest update to fix this issue and it is still broken. If you freeze the panes and have a filtered column, switch off the filter and the freeze becomes a split pane again....

Total nightmare. The last 2 updates have rendered Excel for Mac unusable. Simply clicking out a a cell where calculations are affected freezes the system and only the ESC button will bring it back to life.

This did not happen 2 updates ago with the same spreadsheet.

• Phill W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are approaching the second half of March and there are no updates are available to correct this glitch in the software.

Hi all,

This is not very professional!! Please when are you going to fix this Freeze Panes broken in 15.19.1?
    It is very annoying to see the locked columns and rows frozen!

• Nadia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, the freezing pane is annoying especially when I have to send the spreadsheet out to clients. It looks like I cannot use the programme. I am glad to hear there is a fix for this,when in March is this taking place?

In addition could you tell me if this is a fault or something I am not doing right, Each time I go into add the header to the spreadsheet it seems to split into three and leaves dotted lines in each section. I go back to main view and these dotted lines are still there. I have not seen that before.

Using filters and trying to search for (in my case) customer names from a list is broken. You start typing a name into the search box, and you sometimes have to retype numerous times as the list keeps repopulating and thereby deletes what you originally typed. This, along with the duplication and movement of columns (I assume related to the freeze panes issue) is making running my business far more difficult.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base