Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Option to change the highlight of the active cell

Please give an option to change the colour of the highlight of the active cell. This green is not visible enough.

27 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Petra Vogt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Gareth Hayter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FormulaDesk Navigator (disclosure: my add-in) adds this feature and also allows you to customise the highlighting (arrows, row/column highlighting, border, colors, transparency, line-thickness etc. It might prove useful until Microsoft adds this feature natively. Please let me know if you'd like to see any other features.

https://www.formuladesk.com/formuladesk-navigator/

• Dave H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The outline for the active cell is extremely poor, especially for people like me who use excel A LOT!. A feature should be added to make it more visible.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this change. Hard to see on a large spreadsheet. I know this is done on other versions of excel.

Having the ability to change to red or blue or even increase the line thickness would improve usability. Green is weak and causes unnecessary eye strain.

There is not enough contrast for me. I'd like there to be an option to pick highlight colors. I would love an orange at the moment

Want to have active row highlighted based on cell i am in so it is easier to select the correct row

• PAT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a 'must include' feature, to make the sheet easier to locate where the active cell is especially during data entry.

Yes agreed, It's so faint I can barely tell which one it is sometimes, and it has caused mistakes by choosing the wrong cell.

Also agree that the highlight needs to be more visible! I shouldn't have to hack together conditional formatting rules for myself and my colleagues on every workbook in order to see where we are on a sheet.

Agreed - please fix this. The only way to locate a selected cell on a complex sheet is to hunt for the highlights column and row headings. This is silly...

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a struggle to see the found cell using "FIND" command because the light green cell border is not sufficiently distinct. Needs a fix.

It is essential to provide this option. Excel 2016 is rubbish compared to Excel 2007

I support this especially when using "Find" (Ctrl+F) to find text within excel. As you move from search result to search result, it is very hard to find which cell has the word you are looking for because the active cell is barely noticeable

Feedback and Knowledge Base