Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Introduce "Offline Mode" to Reduce Latency and Improve Performance

Please create an "Offline Mode" feature for Office 365 to reduce overhead and improve performance when network connections are not required for one's basic Office app use.

While using Excel (Office 365 for Mac) there is too much latency in the most simple tasks. Additionally, the application(s) attempt to make multiple network connections to various sites for subscription, sharepoint, and other apps connectivity. All of these actions reduce performance and create an overhead which impacts the users' experience (one only needs to google the feedback to date on the latest Office for Mac issues). Additionally, there are times when traveling or visiting a customer's location or when using public wifi that I do not want Office to "be online" - however when these connections are denied/blocked it seems Office reduces performance even more.

As such, please introduce an 'offline mode' - which also help users with low bandwidth connections or using congesting network links. Let the user decide when connections are needed.

Thank-you,

42 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bobby shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This suggestion is from quite a while ago and we’ve had lots of updates since then. Please comment whether this is still an issue or let us know that it’s gotten better. We’ll keep this open and monitor for votes and comments.

Steve K [MS Excel]

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ben H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A major focus on perf is still needed for Excel for Mac @Steve K

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In contrast to what Microsoft claims, Office 365 for the MAC want to check the subscription every day when you start it. On the PC it's once a month.

If you happen to start Excel without an internet connection, you will have a hard time using Excel throughout the day, even connecting to the internet afterwards.

Excel switches to some offline mode where it tries to connect all (network) drives in order to look for something (presumable an offline license) for each operation you will perform in Excel.
    Try to copy a 1000 cells, thats 3000~4000 operations, for which each operation all drives will be checked.
    This is what is causing the ridiculous diskarbitrationd usage in the background.
    It will not recover and render your Excel experience like you're working on a Mac 20 years ago.
    Close Excel and wait until the next day. Don't forget to connect to an internet connection first.

• Darren Hawker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope someone from MS reads these comments. The issue with diskarbitrationd appears not to be with Excel but with Onedrive. I automatically sync my Onedrive files to a folder on my local machine and access them when offline. It's these files that have a performance issue. I saved the file to my local desktop and accessed the file again and everything works fine. I assume Onedrive is constantly attempting to sync the file that I'm writing to, hence why diskarbitrationd is kicking in after every action. Please sort this, otherwise what's the point of having a local offline folder.

Anything to help the application behave normally when it doesn't have an internet connection is greatly needed. Every change of cell take 5-10 seconds and the application is miserable to work with. I can't believe is was released in this state.
    On the Mac, distarbitrationd kicks in on every action when offline. It doesn't do it when online. I think this is related to the problem.

• Mike Garcia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if you are working on a local document you do not need to be online to use it. If you block it's license check connections it will eventually disable your software. I use the software daily and do not experience the issues you have. You should probably address the underlying issues with your hardware/os if you are experiencing problems.

Microsoft subscription license verification still attempts/prompts when no network connection exists; prompts user and prevents app launch; is this needed? Could this be optimized?

manipulating large files/tables with multiple filters is terribly slow on both my iMac and MacBook Air - all latest updates of OS and Office 365 are installed ... don't know ik the offline mode will be sufficient to resolve the problem

Feedback and Knowledge Base