Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Bring back the "option-click" shortcut to insert column(s), row(s), or cell(s).

Please reinstate the option+click shortcut or at least a way to customize for it. It makes my work much easier and is the only reason I've yet to upgrade. Thanks a lot!

38 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tony shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Working on a project and this shortcut going away is REALLY slowing me down. Partially because, well, it's a shortcut and is meant to save time, and partially because I'm so used to using the shortcut that I option-click, take a second to ponder why it's not working, have a sickening realization that the feature is gone, and THEN have to do it the more time-consuming way.

• Clemens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitly a must have feature! I can't unterstand why this was killed. Please bringt it back as fast as possible.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please reinstate this. This is about the third downgrade I have found in Excel 2016 in less than one day of use. Why take away features? It makes no sense at all?

C'mon! Seriously - MS you should be flogged for calling your downgrade an upgrade. Really? Someone thought it would be better to have NO option-click to insert a row? You think it's better and worth the upgrade price to require more work to achieve the same thing? Classic!

Really a sad development. I just upgraded from 2011. I believe I've made a mistake. Couldn't imagine a reason for killing this feature. Oh... maybe it's a sadistic plot to force people to Open Office? Isn't the imagination wonderful?

Please. Please. Please. I hate begging, but hate the feeling of phantom clicking and discovering this decades long muscle-memory is now made useless – worse if it was sacrificed on the altar of "feature-parity". I'll use 2016, but will continue to hate it and actively seek for an alternative for my money until this is brought back.

• DB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding many more clicks to achieve one simple existing function? Bravo Microsoft Mac team!

Pathetic "downgrades" made by what must a bloated, comittee-driven operation where the most competent workers can't influence the decision making politickers.
        I'm re-installing an old version of excel to solve this.
        Again, pathetic.

• Ram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We excel users are accustomed to using shortcuts which is very user friendly and helps to do repeated works.Now why MS removed it I don't know.And now i have to insert one row after each row in a sheet of 800 rows.It takes lot of boring time.Is there not an option to do it quickly..without inserting one by one. Or can we insrt a macro/function?Pls help.

This is as infuriating as when macro's were removed for a version. 1 step forward, 3 clicks back

• Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why oh Why would you remove this, Microsoft? It was one of the quickest, most useful shortcuts in Excel! PLEASE bring it back, or offer an OPTION to enable that behavior!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base