Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

SImple way to toggle OSX Excel keyboard shortcuts so that they mimic those in Excel Windows

Add a simple Excel option toggle that allows OSX users to mimic keyboard shortcuts from Window (F2 = edit, Ctrl+z = undo etc etc).

Many users tend to user windows Excel in a corporate environment and find it frustrating that their hard learned shortcuts don't work on OSX. Needs to be a simple way to turn on and off (c.f. the Lotus 123 navigation compatibility switch in advanced settings on Windows Excel)

7 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

nick soulsby shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a power Excel user on windows at work, I rarely need to use the mouse at all.
    But then I am like handicapped at home using Excel for Mac. Why do you need two sets of shortcuts on the same product?

Yeah asking the existing mac user to follow windows shortcuts may be too difficult but perhaps a toggle button to switch to Excel windows would be so much better.

And I mean all shortcuts from the earlier days of Excel 2010/2013, I know the newer version use ribbons but those old shortcuts still works and there are a lot people in Finance use them.

• James Spotanski (Microsoft Excel) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Interesting suggestion Nick - we do have some documentation about the keyboard shortcuts in Excel for Mac 2016 here - http://aka.ms/xlmacshortcuts.

Both of the specific examples you've mentioned are supported in Excel for Mac 2016, but switching the default behavior of the function keys on a Mac requires checking the box in Apple > System Preferences > Keyboard > Use all F1, F2, etc. as standard function keys.

If you're asking for Excel for Mac 2011, I wouldn't expect to see any new features added there. But if you'd like a one-click "use Windows keyboard shortcuts" setting in 2016, then that's something we would consider adding if it gained enough traction (votes) here and in other feedback channels.

Thanks,
    -James

Feedback and Knowledge Base