Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Please allow to disable the GetPivotData function as is the case in Excel for Windows

Excel for Windows allows you to disable this function.
Most users don't need the GetPivotData function and keep forgeting that the behavior of Pivot Table cells is different: you have to erase the function, carefully find out which column and row belong to the cell and manually type them in: Time wasted aplenty plus frustration

74 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jan Krebs shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    already supported  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Just as in Excel for Windows, the “Generate GetPivotData” option is a mode that you can turn on or off. It affects the behavior of what happens when you’re creating a formula and you select a cell in a PivotTable to create a reference to it. If you enable the Generate GetPivotData option, it will create a formula that will calculate the value of the PivotTable cell. If you disable the Generate GetPivotData option, it will create a plain reference to the cell.

This option is not a setting for each PivotTable. It is an application setting that you can turn on or off at any time.

To enable/disable the Generate GetPivotData option, select a cell in any PivotTable, then click PivotTable Analyze > Options, and then check or uncheck the option.

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • CK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Upgrading to Excel 15.24 on Mac has been a horrible disappointment.

As Melissa Atwood said, disabling GetPivotData has to be a global setting, not something I have to do every single time I create a new pivot. The fact that this didn't raise huge red flags in the design process shows that there either isn't one or no one working on Excel uses Excel.

Also, why doesn't ENTER to autocomplete work any more? Thanks for keeping my on my toes, I love retraining years of muscle memory.

• Melissa Atwood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can disable this, but you have to do it in each workbook. Please add a preference for both Mac & Windows that allows you to disable this function as a default for all new workbooks so you don't have to manually uncheck this function every single time. It has made me less efficient at my job and it has made me dislike excel, something I never thought I would say. For Mac to disable in your current workbook: click into your PivotTable> go to the PivotTable Analyze tab > Click the down arrow on 'Options' > uncheck 'Generate 'GetPivotData''

• Sean Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fear not, this is super easy to do: Go to PivotTable Analyze -> Options (click triangular dropdown for more options) -> Uncheck "Generate GetPivotData" option.

This drove me totally nuts for months until I found a snippet in a Google Books result that outlines it. Hope that helps!! Spread the word.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do I get rid of GETPIVOTDATA auto calculation for Excel 2016 on a mac?

Feedback and Knowledge Base