Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Proper compatibility with 2011, scaling and sizes all over the place

Each time I open a 2011 file in 2016 the cell and page sizes are all wrong and previously well presented documents look terrible. Each time I open it I have to waste time resizing everything to work in 2016

65 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Luke Swaffield shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Thanks for all your comments and votes supporting this suggestion. There are some differences which have been introduced so that Excel for Mac can align closer with Excel for Windows, so in some cases you will need to adjust your documents. One reason for the differences is how Excel determines the column width in your spreadsheets, which you can read more about here – https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/214123/description-of-how-column-widths-are-determined-in-excel.

Thanks – Steve K [MS Excel]

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why are you marking this as completed?? Nothing is completed...you haven’t done anything. Your explanation doesn’t help fix the huge formatting issues from 2011. I’m shocked you consider your vague explanation a “fix”!!! It’s time for my entire team to move on to another software that is more reliable and to a company that has more concern for making sure there is compatibility for long time users. I’m extremely unhappy and disappointed with Microsoft!

• jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This problem creates such a huge problem for us. This has been a major issue for over a year. None of our old files can be easily used because every time they are opened, there is a major reformatting / squeezing & stretching of jpegs and inserted images, invisible duplicate rows inserted. Reformatting each time doesn't help because any time a new person opens...it happens all over again. This problem is destroying how work is done in our industry. At this point, if microsoft doesn't finally fix this problem, we will have no choice but to move to a new software program that is much more reliable. this effects many people in our industry around the world...you will be losing hundreds and hundreds of users just from our company and it's team members / partners alone. This problem is destroying our business as we can't get our work done anymore. I've been waiting for a fix for this for months and months. If you aren't going to fix it...we have no choice but to move on to another company. Which is a shame, considering how reliable a customer i've been...our companies have been for almost 2 decades.

• Janie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue has been going on since 2015! It's not really productive to arrange all files from Excel for Mac 2011. Every time I open an old file, I have to adjust width, columns, height and all formatting.

• Pau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please look into this Microsoft. I know you are very keen on issues like this as what you have done in the past. Thanks in Advance and keep up the good work!

• Johnny T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same concern and it's very annoying the row height and column widths in 2016 doesn't quite corresponds to that of 2011. When will Microsoft fix this?

• Wes Olson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have this same issue - and am surprised I have not seen more complaints about it online, surely it is a major issue for everyone? Is there a fix that I don't know about?

Feedback and Knowledge Base