Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Printing vertical and horizontal worksheets

When printing within a workbook that has both vertical and horizontal work sheets the page orientations all become vertical or horizontal rather than maintaining the original orientation.

69 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matt Stride shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Accepting Votes  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Thanks for the suggestion, votes and comments about this issue. We will look into it. Keep supporting this and we’ll prioritize accordingly along with the other requests.

Steve K [MS Excel]

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michele commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, any news about this feature? It will be included for Mac in Office 2016 or will be included in Office 2019? Thanks!

• Jennifer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Spent waaaaaay too long chatting with support tonight to try to get help with this issue only to be told that he couldn't help and it would have to go to development. I only recently updated from the version of Excel I purchased in 2012 and am SHOCKED and beyond disappointed that this new version cannot handle something the old one did with ease. While there is a work around, it is going to be incredibly time consuming. Please fix this soon!!

• Guy Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, it is bad enough that Microsoft has included this non-logical "bug" in Excel - very poor quality work. Microsoft should be more ashamed of itself though for not do anything about fixing it! These comments date back to 2015!

• tangolovers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is very common to have worksheets with different/mixed orientation in the same workbook. Usually the 1st page is some kind of summary or table of contents. It is totally unacceptable that the orientation can not be set (AND STAY SET) so you don't have to print page by page.

Also, Excel seems to always default to Portrait when printing and you always have to change it manually - every time you print. Also unacceptable!! Terrible behavior from a software that is supposed to be an industry standard!

• Cameron Porcaro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We were using Office 2011 and this functioned as it should. We switched to Office 2016 and discovered that it was broken. We had to roll back to Office 2011 On macOS 10.13 in order to get this feature back.

• The Neutral Guy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mac is handling printer drivers differently than PC.
        MS did not break this. They need to work around how things work on Mac but this takes time, even less when in a digital era, less and less people is using printing features in such applications. Let's give them time to fix it since it is most probably not a priority.

• Barb C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I print a calendar I put the setting to landscape, it prints out in portrait .how do I change this ? it prints out the whole calendar ,but I do not want it in portrait style.

• Ken A. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need this fixed so behaviour is the same for Mac & Windows. This is working on Excel 2016 on Windows 10.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very cumbersome in the new excel 2016. Excel 2013 and previous version did this easily. How was this overlooked with this new rollout. This affects both MAC and WINDOWS users!

• Rc2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft - the ability to print workbooks using a combination of both horizontal and vertical worksheets is a must. Please fix this for all Mac users. Thank you.

• Martha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recently upgraded from a PC to a Mac and was very disappointed that I can not print both vertical and horizontal within the same workbook ... it worked fine with the PC. I need this for my business for both printing and conversion to PDF. I hope Microsoft will resolve this soon.

I agree, this is basic functionality that has been in use in Excel from the beginning of time. What kind of developer at Microsoft would "intentionally" omit this feature/functionality with Excel for Mac 2016?

• Leyda Mendez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm paying the same subscription fee that Windows users are paying. Should be able to have same functionality. This is a very basic feature that should have been there.

• Leyda Mendez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this. Not doing back to Windows just because of this. Don't make Mac users suffer. Need this for business. This is not acceptable.

This "functionality" is absolutely essential to the operation of my businessm, countless others' and Excel in general.

When I moved from a Vaio to a Mac Pro at the beginning of this year I spent 6 hours on phone calls with Apple and Microsoft to find out why I could not do this.

I am glad I am not alone.

This needs to be fixed ASAP. Its unacceptable.

• Liz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is unacceptable from Microsoft to, first of all, not have included this feature into their Mac version, and second of all, after all that time, and considering that they are well aware that this is causing problems of the users of their product, not do anything about it.
        Daily business requires my company to print reports having different vertical/horizontal layout on workbook, needing to number the page, etc.... and we have to keep a PC version of Excel on a separate machine in order to be able to do our work. As well, this creates compatibility problems between files generated on Mac and on PC version, formatting going all over the moon, having to redo your work. It is very frustrating. Simply frustrating.

Completely blown away by the obvious lack of testing before launch. This is a massive error. Fix it.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base