Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Support multi-row worksheet tabs, or vertical tabs (some way to see more sheet tabs at a time)

The workbooks I work with often have 10+ tabs. This makes it very hard to navigate as you don't get a good overview.

Why not introduce a feature in which the tab list can be viewed in a vertical mode, either to the right or the left side of the actual spreadsheet? This would make navigation much easier.

(2015-11-05 Dan [MS] - recategorized and clarified idea title)

60 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

John Severinson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion and the votes about ways to make it easier to work with sheet tabs. We will continue to monitor the suggestion and prioritize it accordingly.

Currently, you can CTRL+Click or right-click on the sheet navigation buttons to the left of the sheet tabs to see the complete list of sheets, which can help you quickly find and navigate to a desired sheet.

Steve K [MS Excel]

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Bill Connolly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature seems like an ideal method of indexing a worksheet with too many tabs to fit across the bottom. The color of tabs is helpful to visual organization. The right click of nav buttons is less convenient. Scrolling the bottom tabs is also inconvenient when using many sheets.

• rvamerongen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like it more ( or also like in both ) to have a way to fixed/locked a tab in place on the left side.
    This way I can have the important tabs ( as an alias ? ) on the eft side of the tab bar.

• Tim Constable commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what a good idea! Tabs to the left or right would be most useful. Also a few more options for the tab colouring, rather than the pale shaded version which is the only type at present

• Ry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Much like in Safari for mac where you can see all open tabbed websites, this feature should be in Excel ASAP!

I have used excel documents with 80+ Sheets... AND IT'S PAINFUL SCROLLING THROUGH THE Sheets ONE BY ONE.

Excel 2016 removed much of this pain by smartly implementing a SHEETLIST BOX that appears if you right click the tab left or tab right buttons... But even this isn't enough!

1) Even the Sheet list box is too small to handle 50+ tabs. It's only an inch diagnoally, so only shows ~ 5 tabs in the list at a time, which is too slow to find a buried sheet when you need to. So make the SheetListBox 3-5x Bigger BY DEFAULT.

2) You often can't remember what you named the sheet when you have >20 sheets in the same Excel document. So in this case, the sheetlistbox is useless for example if it's Sheet 1, Sheet 2, Sheet 3,..., Sheet 50, ... how is even the Amazing sheetlistbox going to help you if you can't remember what the sheet you were looking for's name was?

3) EVEN IF I remembered the name of my sheet, I'd still have to scroll through this tiny popup listbox to find it which takes time. IT WOULD BE SO MUCH BETTER TO HAVE A LITTLE SHEETSEARCH BOX ON THE TOP OF THE SHEETLISTBOX TO TYPE IN A FEW WORDS AND EXCEL SEARCHES THROUGH THE SHEETS TO FIND THE ONES WITH MATCHING WORDS. I WOULD DIE FOR THIS FEATURE! Make the sheetlistbox searchable!

So, the solution is simple: make the sheetlist box bigger, put a search function on top of it to enable a quicksearch through the Sheet names for the one you are looking for AND enable a button that if you click it will show you a bunch of sheets in tile formation with screenshot PREVIEWS of what the sheets LOOK LIKE along with their SheetNames so that I can quickly scroll through that view and find my sheet. If you want an idea of how to implement this best, look to Safari Tab Zoom Out view on iOS 10, or on Mac OS.

Much Appreciated!

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature would make my life much easier. I work as an engineering project manager and we use Excel for most of our calculation documents. These documents will have 30+ long-named tabs, and being allowed to view them vertically on the side of the page would make it much easier to identify and sort them. In addition, most people are using wide-screen monitors yet format spreadsheets to be able to print in portrait orientation, so the effective viewing area would increase.

Feedback and Knowledge Base