Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Maintain copied data on the clipboard even if the "dancing ants" aren't shown around the copied range

I understand that the clipboard can use A lot of memory, but It is sooo frustrating having to re copy everything because I accidently clicked in the wrong cell before pasting.

22 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jeremy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The clipboard is now persistent in some cases where it would have been cleared in the past. For example, if you copy some cells, and then insert a new sheet, you can paste the copied cells. In the past, the clipboard would have been cleared when you inserted the new sheet.

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Rick Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ian Page says, " I only lose the initial selection if I ENTER something in a cell other than the one I want to paste into". Ian, that's the whole point. Something copied should remain on the (seemingly lost) clipboard not matter how much typing, performing many different keystrokes, using functions, whatever, are carried out. The only reason for a previous copy to be lost its if it is replaced by another copy.

• Steve Yuroff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Commenting to say this is also affecting my workplace: It's long established behavior that the clipboard maintains the most recent content until superceeded, not that it maintains it until a specific action is taken, where then the contents are wiped.

• Julie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that Jeremy is referencing a similar error for Macs that is also being suggest and under review for Windows users. https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/9735714-maintain-copied-data-on-the-clipboard-even-if-the

I have a lot of issues where my copied data is gone if I start typing in another cell before pasting, therefore the clipboard doesn't seem to be "saving" the data. There are definite issues going on with the clipboard that cause me frustration.

• Ian Page commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jeremy, I'm not sure I understand your problem. If I copy a selection, I can paste it multiple times. I can also click in any number of different cells once I've copied, without losing the initial selection (marching ants remain), and then paste. I only lose the initial selection if I ENTER something in a cell other than the one I want to paste into.

In the situation you describe (you click in the wrong cell before pasting), just use undo (Command-z), then click in the correct cell, then paste. No re-selecting required.

Feedback and Knowledge Base