Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Enable VBA Support for creating and editing UserForms (not the Data Form)

In previous versions of Mac Excel you could create a Form/Dialog using VBA (called a VBA UserForm). In Mac Excel 2016, you can no longer do this. Please bring that functionality back. Note that this is different than the "Form" option on the Data menu. There's a separate suggestion on UserVoice for that.

(March-2018: MS updated the Title and Description to avoid confusion with the Data Form request)

717 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion and for the support of this feature. If you meant to vote for the Data Form, which is different than VBA UserForms, please change your vote to that suggestion instead. From reading the comments on this one, it seems that some clarification was needed.

I updated the title and description for this one and we’ll continue to monitor for comments and votes.

Here’s the link to the Data Form suggestion – https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac/suggestions/17930662-restore-data-form-functionality

Steve K [MS Excel]

181 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • rescobarster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

command Forms (or formularios in spanish), is inexistent, but is a great tool for manage date bases in excel

• Killian Victor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's a shame we can't access to UserForm in Excel 2016. It is not an upgrade, but rather a downgrade. What the **** are you doing? Fix your ****

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, legacy code can never be updated unless you keep Office 2011. That's bad!

• David Swift commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I been using VBA in Mac excel since it became available and have built up several business systems around it. We will not be turning to PC.

The ONLY feature relevant to us that other spreadsheet apps do not provide is that of VBA.

So:
    1. Where are the forms? I need to create and edit them!!
    2. Why have some of my codes stopped working? (Actually they are behaving as they did when VBA was reintroduced way back in 200? which makes it seem that a whole load of good work has been scrapped with the bugs!)

Neither I nor my associated businesses will be able to upgrade to 365 so there will be some cancellations unfortunately.

Best wishes

David Swift

PS:
    Please sack the penny-pinching guy who keeps saying that no-one uses VBA seriously on Mac.
    You will have to sack him in a couple of years when you realise he was wrong - so why not now and save us minorities a load of persecution :-)

• Andreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't believe Microsoft releasing a version which is inferior to a previous one - when is the User Form functional in Mac Excel 2016? Seems to be a deliberate attempt to move programmers back to Windows.

• Nicolas Dero commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This "downgrade" still occurs 8 month after the first notification?? No roadmap, no clear indication that Office for Mac is a lite version but sold with the full price?

Fun fact: I can't modify a UserForm in Mac XL 2016, but my file has been modified and must be partially re-written for XL 2011: all accentuated letters are lost.

Thanks guy! Nice job.

What happened to upgrades delivering an improved product? Taking away UserForms makes me feel like I've been ripped-off. Please restore this functionality ASAP.

YOU ARE KIDDING ME!!! - If Microsoft wants to gain ground in the MAC arena they need to provide fully functional products - not some have baked wanna be!! Office 360 - 2016 for MAC - Very disappointing!!

As a VBA developer I will be recommending that our oganisation go back to WINDOWS and PCs. At least it works.

• Ric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although new to VBA and user forms I was quite disappointed to discover, after upgrading, that this feature was not available.

• David Barber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was considering buying office 365/2016 and cannot justify it without VBA. Most of my work colleagues use Macs and I heard from them there may be a problem, as he has;t upgraded yet either! We work on Macs as we are mobile, but have several thousand windows based PC's. Head office have even mooted Linux, although they went from XP to Win 7 recently; they installed Open Source Office (KingSoft) and may be moving to Open source fully on the intranet. There's now a reminder that my shopping cart is waiting, but there's not feedback to let them know why I'm not buying!

• David Barber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i really shouldn't have to pay for a PC and Windows for VBA functionality on my MAC. You should perhaps call it "Mac Office Lite" and be specific about the lack of features.

• Jon Peltier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft has clearly stated in many places that the VB editing capabilities in Mac Excel 2016 are still under development. I don't like the VB Editor in Mac Excel 2011, so I do all my VBA work in Windows, then just use Mac Excel 2011 and 2016 for testing and debugging, and implement any changes needed in Windows.

Feedback and Knowledge Base