Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Enable VBA Support for creating and editing UserForms (not the Data Form)

In previous versions of Mac Excel you could create a Form/Dialog using VBA (called a VBA UserForm). In Mac Excel 2016, you can no longer do this. Please bring that functionality back. Note that this is different than the "Form" option on the Data menu. There's a separate suggestion on UserVoice for that.

(March-2018: MS updated the Title and Description to avoid confusion with the Data Form request)

717 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion and for the support of this feature. If you meant to vote for the Data Form, which is different than VBA UserForms, please change your vote to that suggestion instead. From reading the comments on this one, it seems that some clarification was needed.

I updated the title and description for this one and we’ll continue to monitor for comments and votes.

Here’s the link to the Data Form suggestion – https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac/suggestions/17930662-restore-data-form-functionality

Steve K [MS Excel]

181 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • David James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Try LibreOffice - free software, runs on any platform and I am told is as good as if not better than MS Office.

• Roman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BIG disadvantage! Seems as if this age-old war between Microsoft and Mac/Apple is still going on. Mac users seem to get punished for selecting stable and visually appealing hardware.

Is there any Excel/VBA alternative/clone for mac that can do userforms or something the like?

Thanks

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi gyes, really need these user forms and Marco being enabled on Mac os cannot do my classes at home.... stress.... thanks

As a Mac user who is using Excel for entering Parish Records onto a database (FreeReg) I shall be moving over to LibreOffice spreadsheets when Mojave arrives.

Microsoft lost my custom with their hopeless updates system five years ago, and now they lose me on everything else.

• DomC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To the admin, it would be great to get some visibility on what is being done about this and timing, given so many comments from developers, and the lack of workarounds. Very soon the new Mac OS (Mojave) will make the only viable workaround on mac, Excel 2011 redundant. So this lack of Excel 365 functionality will put many mac developers in a terrible position: forego OS upgrades (and all the benefits these bring) just so we can continue to use Excel 2011 - or upgrade and lose the last viable workaround. It seems crazy to me that this substantially complete new VBA editor was released last year - but missed this crucial component that most serious developers would be using.

• Franz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To the Admin: No, we are talking about VBA UserForms and I'm pretty sure that's obvious. This is such a central feature for VBA developers like myself who now have to run a Windows virtual machine to get our work done. It really is flabbergasting that YEARS later this still had not been addressed. Mind-boggling. What is going to be done about this? Nothing?

• Will commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add the ability to create, amend etc UserForms in Excel for Mac!

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately, some add-ins do not work with Excel 2016 for Mac. It seems this version of Excel does not have userforms anymore in the VB Editor to develop these types of add-ins yet. I hear Microsoft has said they are working on updating the VB Editor, so hopefully it will be possible in the future. It really is needed.

• Thomas Compter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know I'm only one user, but until the new Office has AT LEAST the same functionality as Office 11 as regards to VBA capabiliities, there is simply no reason to upgrade. Were it not for VBA (including Userforms) I would just run Apple's productivity suite and be done with it. Please give me a reason to upgrade.

Yes, please, please, please bring this function back...why on earth would you not include it in the 2016 excel for mac version?

• Bill Earl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe UserForms in Excel 2019, with a free upgrade for Excel 2016 victims. Office 2016 can go down as another flop, like Office 2008 was. My own belief is that Microsoft is intentionally sabotaging its own Mac products in an effort to bolster Windows.

• Steve Van Dellen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you create a workbook with a UserForm with Excel for windows and then open the workbook with Excel for Mac, it displays the UserForm, the controls all seem to work just like they do with Windows, and you can edit the code in the VBE. The only things missing are the visual editor and the ToolBox so you can't create a new UserForm, change the layout or add/delete Controls. I wouldn't have guessed these were hard to port or re-implement for the Mac.

@Robert: Indeed. You know, you can actually tell by the "Excel Team" response that UserForms isn't even on their radar anymore. Note the hard sell towards Data Form (including a handy dandy little link to the suggestion page)...

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just bought Office 365 today, installed it, opened my good ole Excel family budget to modify the "New transaction" UserForm and Lo and Behold!!!! Can't modify it anymore!!!!!

Ahh Microsoft, no wonder I went from a Microsoft Solution Developper to Mac User...... This is utterly frustrating. You'll never cease to disappoint.

To David James:

I would say it's more like the beginning of the end for MS Office more than the end of Microsoft itself. I agree that more and more end users are using open-sourced options (such as OpenLibre), which do a fairly comparable job and are much more customizable through add-ons than MS.

I believe MS has become more focused on smaller, niche apps and user-generated content, which is light years away from the "button down" spreadsheet focused upstart it used to be back in the day.

In response to: “It seems to be that MS Excel neither wants nor cares to reimplement UserForms for Mac users. Unwise on their part, as more and more offices are using 365 on Mac platforms...at least that's been my experience.”

Yes - in the process of dumbing down their software so that it works on all platforms they are loosing custom to OpenLibre which does have a viable macro system. Is this the beginning of the end for Microsoft? Many companies my moving over to Unix based systems such as Linux and Apple, so it could easily happen.

It seems to be that MS Excel neither wants nor cares to reimplement UserForms for Mac users. Unwise on their part, as more and more offices are using 365 on Mac platforms...at least that's been my experience.

to anonymous, yeah I feel screwed too. lets say, here are 1200 different people requesting the same functionality, Lets say only 2% of mac office users are here, that means 240000 people are screwed by MICROSOFT. 240000 yearly abo's for $99, $24.000.000 worth of scam. Good enough for a law suit?

Steve K and the others can you sleep at night?

Feedback and Knowledge Base