Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Enable VBA Support for creating and editing UserForms (not the Data Form)

In previous versions of Mac Excel you could create a Form/Dialog using VBA (called a VBA UserForm). In Mac Excel 2016, you can no longer do this. Please bring that functionality back. Note that this is different than the "Form" option on the Data menu. There's a separate suggestion on UserVoice for that.

(March-2018: MS updated the Title and Description to avoid confusion with the Data Form request)

727 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion and for the support of this feature. If you meant to vote for the Data Form, which is different than VBA UserForms, please change your vote to that suggestion instead. From reading the comments on this one, it seems that some clarification was needed.

I updated the title and description for this one and we’ll continue to monitor for comments and votes.

Here’s the link to the Data Form suggestion – https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac/suggestions/17930662-restore-data-form-functionality

Steve K [MS Excel]

186 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • SADD FACE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't want to but will have to NOT purchase next PC from Apple. Business uses Microsoft Office and that's not changing anytime soon, stop competing start adapting. It's frustrating when you can't transition fluidly to a home machine and continue working. And let's be honest here, the User Forms are not the only shortcoming of this cheap knock off of a program. Get your **** together already Apple.

• David James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is why Apple computers have a very small share of the commercial market. Even in architect’s offices where graphics are important Windows based machine are used. Apple limits what programs can be run, provides some software (Numbers, Pages, Contacts, Mail) all of which is pretty basic and they wonder why they don’t penetrate the commercial market. Linux does better.

• Crigou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Office / Excel / VBA is broadly not the only Windows professional application that is not running on MacOS. Then Windows on VM should be for a business Mac user a profitable investment in general (a Mac machine is already quite expensive).

• Patrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Dudley,
    I have Excel 16.27 now and it still does not have user forms listed in VBA. I am not sure how you were able to ********* your version. They only way to get on the Mac is either with Excel 2011 or with a Windows version running on VM. It would be nice if they were working on this but I have a bad feeling that they have no intentions of working on it since this case has been open since 2016 came out. I would think we would have something by now if they really intended on adding it. It really is sad when they don't seem to respect the Mac community as much as the Windows community.

• Dudley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Alain
    I'm on the Office Insider option, but I've had the form option for over a year since Sept last year and it seems to be very slowly getting there hope this helps

• Alain Thibault commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Dudley, what IOS version do you have? When I am trying to update Excel the software is saying that I am up to date and my version is of Excel is: 16.16.11.

How can you be at 16.27?

Hi Steve L,

What is your objection about my comment below ? (June 12th) Or do your agree with the fact that a rich userform is basically incompatible with VBA on Mac ?

• Steve L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

Really need to be able to use Userforms in the VB Editor on Excel for Mac... Any ideas if this is in development or when it might be released?

Thanks

Steve.

Hi gentlemen.

It appears to me today that useful userforms are theoretically impossible in VBA / Excel for Mac. Let's see why. After this source

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50144020/overview-of-differences-between-form-controls-and-activex-controls-in-excel

" Both types of controls can be used on worksheets but only ActiveX controls can be used on userforms. "

From elsewhere, we also know that ActiveX controls aren't known on a Mac.
    Q.E.D.

• Mitch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do we build websites & databases, or Microsoft Excel's VBA UserForms? It was a decision we had to make.

I still develop in Excel's VBA. It was the first language I learned to use, 19 years ago.

I've moved as much as possible to Google Sheets. No VBA support for creating and editing UserForms was the straw that broke the camels back at our company.

Since my team & I develop in Ruby, Python, and JavaScript, we choose Mac machines for the pre-installed Ruby, Python, etc. for developing the front-end of our websites & databases.

The internet is pretty popular in 2019. In the USA, more businesses use the internet than Microsoft.

Microsoft choosing this route, forced us to alternatives. The company is catering to the government(s) sector, that do not have to exchange goods & services for $. Apparently, Microsoft is all in on Asian governments.

R.I.P.

Mitch Hunt
    Lead Data Architect

• David James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature should be added to Excel 2016 as well as newer versions. People who bought 2016 thought they were buying an UPGRADE on 2011 but were scammed. If this is not possible then we should be able to get a FREE upgrade to the current version when it includes the various features removed in 2016.

Pigs will fly before any of this happens.

• Robert Frießleben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can use instead of VBA and UserForms also JavaScript and HTML in Excel → it is called Office.JS. I suppose, this is the prevered way to implement Userforms in Office 2016 …

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base