Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Enable VBA Support for creating and editing UserForms (not the Data Form)

In previous versions of Mac Excel you could create a Form/Dialog using VBA (called a VBA UserForm). In Mac Excel 2016, you can no longer do this. Please bring that functionality back. Note that this is different than the "Form" option on the Data menu. There's a separate suggestion on UserVoice for that.

(March-2018: MS updated the Title and Description to avoid confusion with the Data Form request)

700 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion and for the support of this feature. If you meant to vote for the Data Form, which is different than VBA UserForms, please change your vote to that suggestion instead. From reading the comments on this one, it seems that some clarification was needed.

I updated the title and description for this one and we’ll continue to monitor for comments and votes.

Here’s the link to the Data Form suggestion – https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac/suggestions/17930662-restore-data-form-functionality

Steve K [MS Excel]

168 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Robert Frießleben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can use instead of VBA and UserForms also JavaScript and HTML in Excel → it is called Office.JS. I suppose, this is the prevered way to implement Userforms in Office 2016 …

• Tomas Ormeno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Following the alternative conversation, I would focus on Google Spreadsheets. You have javascript as a language and HTML to build forms :)

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In response to Crigou - yes, Libreoffice does implement equivalent UserForms in its macro language. I have converted all my applications and abandoned Excel for Mac. You can use Python and other languages as well as Basic too.

• Crigou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use Libreoffice instead of MS-Office ? OK, fine. But are we sure to have in Libreoffice something equivalent to UserForms ?

Thank you David James, for your good ideas. Now, assume that, unfortunately, for any reason, Office for Windows and Office for MacOS would be two distinct software product developments. And if any Office user would pay for instance 100 $ for it, independently of his platform, then, due to the much lower market share of the Mac machines, the total budget for the Mac version would also be lower. This would explain the "reduced version" evoked by David James.

• David James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It has to be said that the main reason why Apple never had a larger share of the market was due to the simple fact that their own versions of Office (and other software) were toys compared with the real thing. Microsoft has always had a strong commercial following and it could easily “command” the Apple community as well by making the full version of Office available “on a Mac “. Not doing so encourages Apple users to use software such as OpenLibre which has a macro facility - not wonderful but better than what MS are offering at present.

OK, but on his side, a wise boss, naturally pragmatic, and actually needing full VBA on Mac, would never give up to also run Windows on that Mac, only for personal anti-Microsoft ideological reasons. MS know that, too. Then no many professional customers are lost in the game.

I agree - profit is the driver in any organisation - but not at the cost of losing custom. This feature is central to the way Excel is used by many companies and Microsoft will lose custom on this one.

Fortunately, most complaints in these discussions aren't of professional nature. As a matter of fact, any responsible boss wouldn't accept to wait several years for a workable solution with VBA.
    Crigou.

All what is undertaken by any company (Microsoft, Apple, …) is deliberate and guided by cost / benefit minimizing.

It's been three years... I think the reason is either

1. Microsoft deliberately down grade software designed to run on Apple equipment
    2. Microsoft are incapable of producing a version which runs on Apple equipment
    3. Apple have made it difficult or expensive to to make this happen
    4. Microsoft want you to buy the 365 version and make money on the license fee
    5. other (you choose your favourite conspiracy theory)

The bottom line is Microsoft are charging full price for a crippled version not much better than Apple's Numbers (which costs a whole lot less). Microsoft are clearly not interested in its customer's requirements.

It’s now for longer than three years that the present discussions have taken place.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will return office in the next 30 days if this feature isn't added back.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please get via user forms back. I bought office for Mac just to get back working with excel via. I really need this feature. Thanks

• Patrick B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm so irritated to find this function mysteriously missing. Please add userforms back.

It is not true that LibreOffice is quite free. On their web page, they wish us to donate some money:
    https://www.libreoffice.org/donate/
    Nothing is free in our economic system: the LibreOffice developers also have to finance the numerous working hours.
    Crigou.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base