Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Bring back Relative References in Macro Recording

In Mac XL 2011 You had ability to create Macros that made use of Relative References in a addition to absolute references. In the Excel Mac 2016 Answers forum this is vitally important.

Any possibility of returning this to Excel Mac 2016

[10/22/2015 - Dan [MS]: Added image to show where this feature used to exist in older versions of Mac XL]

330 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Phillip Jones shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

151 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think it will 'ever' come back. It seems clear they have no 'easy' way to fix this? I'm struggling with 'reasons' why this isn't fixed... too expensive? What is the reason it has been left out or taken away? Is this spite? The Windows/Mac war?
        Excel is 'completely useless' in the Mac version because of this omission.

Please bring it back. I'm paying for Office 365 and it is just crazy this function was simply removed!

Please bring back Relative References in Macro Recording in Excel 365 for Mac! I cannot imagine why Microsoft would omit it-- very frustrating and annoying. I'm paying $70 a year for the software, and features that USED to be in my Excel 2011 are missing!

• Charles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without ability to toggle between relative and absolute record, the macro function is quite useless. Still having a hard time digesting how this functionality could be lost....

• Susan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back Relative References in Macro Recording in Excel 365 for Mac! I cannot imagine why Microsoft would omit it-- very frustrating and annoying. I'm paying $70 a year for the software, and features that USED to be in my Excel 2011 are missing!

• Jack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And Micros - - t have absolutely no incentive to fix it. They want you to have to buy a Windoze machine. Do I hear "anti-trust" from any lawyers in the audience?

3 years and 4 months of comments and no response by Microsoft.

They are not listening and they don't care.

• James Hohenthaner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WHY THE F! would Microsoft (king of spreadsheets) decide to remove relative cell references as an option in the Macro recording feature for Mac Office 365?! It's a seriously DUMB move and honestly, when you look at this extraction of a KEY FEATURE of macro recording (literally for decades!) makes me shake my head.

TXT to Table is a very important feature, and having relative-macro commands to manipulate is an important necessity to get my job done.

• Mark Harradine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Relative references are so much more flexible, would be great (i.e. pretty much essential), to have this feature available again for Mac.

• David James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are several lines of discussion on the problems faced by people using Office 2016 & 2019 for Mac relating to VBA macro programming which have been ignored for a considerable time (at least 4 years). Microsoft need to do something about this. No relative ref control, userforms and dataforms are all missing and make the software unusable for serious work.

Other software companies will fill this gap if you don’t!

• David James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The omission of this facility and that of creating user forms is not progress - it is a dumbing down of the software to save money supporting a part of the software that Microsoft doesn’t feel is profitable. Emojis and online rental (365) are far more important to the industry. What they don’t understand is that there is a huge following in business circles for good solid products that do useful things. They have thrown the baby out with the bath water. I for one have gone elsewhere and I suspect many others will do the same.

If you bought 2016 or the later version 2019 believing it is an improvement over the previous excel version you have been conned and you should ask for your money back!

Until this winter, I've been using 2011 to teach a portion of my course...waiting for solution to this oversight. We have had to update this semester and I really don't know how I'm going to teach this portion of the course next week without looking like a hack. I can't believe there hasn't been a plug-in or extension or something put together as a temporary solution. Almost every day someone comments on this....the need seems loud and clear to me!

• Catalina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The suggestion to bring back the relative references it started in 2015 is 2019 and I still can't find a solution. After this 4 years, is anyone done something to overcome this lack of attention?

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow - I have just started using Excel on Mac and thought I must be missing something! Amazing that this would be removed. I use macros all the time - for some circumstances that macros are handy (such as a creating some automation for cleaning up some bizarrely formatted data you want to work with) having a macro that records relative reference lets you whip up a quick and dirty solution that can save a ton of time. Now you have to mess around with vba which is plausible... but obnoxious. Very disappointing regression.

Really this is the most stupid thing ever. Most useful thing for none developer macro users is removed, and people are asking it back since years and Ms IT don't give a f****

• Chris Cerar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring it back. Why do there have to be so many differences between Excel for Mac and PC anyway?

• Jonathan K Skean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whoever is being paid by Microsoft to respond to user's critical needs should be ashamed. Or more likely that person is shameless. I'm disgusted to see these comments over the past THREE YEARS have been ignored.

• Jonathan K Skean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm extremely disappointed to see this very useful feature has been abandoned. It's almost enough to make me switch back to Windows, which might explain why such a terrible situation exists at all!

• Seth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really like to have the relative references brought back!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base