Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Bring back Relative References in Macro Recording

In Mac XL 2011 You had ability to create Macros that made use of Relative References in a addition to absolute references. In the Excel Mac 2016 Answers forum this is vitally important.

Any possibility of returning this to Excel Mac 2016

[10/22/2015 - Dan [MS]: Added image to show where this feature used to exist in older versions of Mac XL]

308 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Phillip Jones shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

131 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree!! There is something I have to do for work on excel regularly that usually takes a couple of hours at the end of a job. Having relative reference feature on macro would cut this time down to less than 5 minutes! Please bring it back :-(

I agree with all the above comments. Microsoft - please sort this out and put this 'Use Relative References' button back onto the Mac version now!..... I've just wasted hours trying to find out how to do this, only to find that it can't be done! :-((

I have Excel Mac Retail License 2019 and relative References in Macro is still missing.

• David James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a direct result of this situation my wife has bought a Windows 10 laptop AND WILL NOT BE LOADING MS OFFICE. I myself have moved to Linux and OpenOffice and I’m finding it superior to MS Office.

Excel Mac 2016 WITHOUT Relative Reference is definitely a RETROGRADE step!! Having to go back to my old Mac running Mountain Lion and Excell 2011...... IS THIS PROGREESS????

• LC567 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The option to use relative references is fundamental to writing useful macros, and was available in earlier versions of excel. Removing that option appears to be a wilful plan to make the software less useful to your customers, or a demonstration of ignorance regarding why it is such an important feature. Neither sounds good. Please restore the function asap. For the time being I have to revert to using an older computer with an earlier version of excel to develop my macros and then import them. I shall certainly advise colleagues to avoid upgrading until this is fixed.

This begging of Microsoft to restore Relative References in Macro Recording has been going on for over 3 years, since 10/22/2015. Microsoft DOESN'T CARE. Repeat: MICROSOFT DOESN'T CARE ABOUT YOU OR YOUR NEED FOR RELATIVE REFERENCES.

This begging of Microsoft to restore Relative References in Macro Recording has been going on for over 3 years, since 10/22/2015. Microsoft DOESN'T CARE. Repeat: MICROSOFT DOESN'T CARE ABOUT YOU OR YOUR NEED FOR RELATIVE REFERENCES.

Absolutely this is needed. I used this regularly and not having it is significantly affecting my productivity at work, undercutting the use of Excel. Guess what Microsoft, there are other spreadsheet programs and if you don't offer users what they want they will be gone.

I think we ALL know this thread is being ignored. It isn’t ever coming back to the Mac version.

• Weichen Zhang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's Nov 2018 now and the problem is still there.
        How can Mac Excel remove this vital feature and how long will we wait for an update?

I'm getting my MBA online and taking an advanced Excel class. I CAN'T DO MY ASSIGNMENT BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE THIS STUPID BUTTON. What happened? It was right there, next to the record button in the last version of excel for Mac? It seems like this would be a pretty critical function for ANYONE who uses macros. One button. Seriously.

• Phillip Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is absolutely a Bad idea to remove the ability to use "relative reference" Absolute reference, breaks with the least effort. Even the making of websites. it frowned upon to use absolute Reference.

• Sten Smed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I bought Microsoft Office 365 to get access to Excel with the macro function and the Relative References as one of the most important features. It was for me so clear that this function existed, so I didn't even tested for one free month.

Now I will try to get my money back, and definitely stop any more payment in the future.

I didn't get to sleep until four a clock this morning, trying to find out where the function was hiding.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base