Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Bring back Relative References in Macro Recording

In Mac XL 2011 You had ability to create Macros that made use of Relative References in a addition to absolute references. In the Excel Mac 2016 Answers forum this is vitally important.

Any possibility of returning this to Excel Mac 2016

[10/22/2015 - Dan [MS]: Added image to show where this feature used to exist in older versions of Mac XL]

334 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Phillip Jones shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

160 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • David James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have version 16.16.10 (as the latest update available) and I still don't have relative references. I assume this is because it has only been applied to version 2019 not 2016. When are you going to update 2016. I paid for this feature and haven't received it after two years! Perhaps the easy route would be to honour your customers by updating us to the latest version FREE.

• Unhappy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Microsoft, Thanks for screwing up a very useful and needed thing that worked just fine in Excel 2011 AND MAKING MY SPREADSHEETS, WHICH RELY ON RELATIVE ADDRESSING, USELESS, and forcing me to go back to using 2011 to get the job done.

You say I can now record relative references BUT when the existing 2011 sheet no longer works I really do not want to have to rewrite the approximately 40 macros that will no longer work to get back to having a useful spreadsheet. How about making your "new" product fully backward compatible with 2011 Excel!

• Mike Ratcliffe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring back Relative References in Macro Recording - the fact the MS has asked me for a thumbs up or down having brought this back with 16.24 amazes me. I and others have been asking for this for OVER TWO YEARS. .... NO! MS you don't get a thumbs up.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Steve,
    Many thanks for update - what date was version of Mac Excel 16:24 released? (I assume that this must be a recent update?)
    Many thanks,
    Mark

message when starting my new Excel v16.24 today:

"Calling All Macro Users

Record a macro using relative references. When you play it back, it works in relation the active cell, not the cells used for recording."

an simple test seems to confirm that we're back to the future ....

wow! after only three and a half years!

Well, it's a 'start' at least!!

However, I just tried this on my Excel 16.16.4 it didn't work. I tried both 'fast' and 'slow' and I didn't buy from the Mac App store.

Not sure of what the issue is.... but I 'really' hope this is going to happen finally. Excel has been all but 'useless' on my Mac so far.

To show you how little Microsoft cares about this issue, read the following from Microsoft. It encourages you to vote on this issue. The link takes you to this thread that Microsoft has ignored for almost 3 ½ years. This reply, “we have received many votes to request to bring back the feature.”, was made on 9/30/2018, after this thread had been up for almost 3 years.

Microsoft, if you don’t plan on fixing this, just say so.

Just tell us you don’t care about the Mac Excel community.

Just say, “We don’t care. We are not going to give you the same capability as the Windows users.”

===========================================================================

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/excel-macro-no-button-use-relative-references/218e9985-0372-40fd-a5cf-b09d25478edf

Sten SmedCreated on September 30, 2018
    Excel Macro, no button "Use Relative References"
    I have Excel for Mac ver 16.16.2 ;
    When I make a Macro, no button "Use Relative References" appear. The code looks like relative but acts like absolute.
    How can I get relative references in the macro?

This thread is locked. You can follow the question or vote as helpful, but you cannot reply to this thread. (underline added)

ANSWER

Tina Zhou MSFTReplied on September 30, 2018
    • Microsoft Agent
    |

Hi Sten,
    Thanks for the query.
    We would like you to understand that the feature is removed from Office 2016 for Mac. In our Excel for Mac User Voice, we have received many votes to request to bring back the feature. We welcome and encourage you to also vote for it.It is the best way to let the related team learn your user experience to make Excel better for you and others.
    Regards,
    Tina

I am teaching advanced Excel. In order to create some macros students have to use relative references. The removal of this in the MAC version renders the macros null and void. I seriously cannot see why this is longer available. Please bring it back.

I don't think it will 'ever' come back. It seems clear they have no 'easy' way to fix this? I'm struggling with 'reasons' why this isn't fixed... too expensive? What is the reason it has been left out or taken away? Is this spite? The Windows/Mac war?
    Excel is 'completely useless' in the Mac version because of this omission.

Please bring it back. I'm paying for Office 365 and it is just crazy this function was simply removed!

Please bring back Relative References in Macro Recording in Excel 365 for Mac! I cannot imagine why Microsoft would omit it-- very frustrating and annoying. I'm paying $70 a year for the software, and features that USED to be in my Excel 2011 are missing!

• Charles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without ability to toggle between relative and absolute record, the macro function is quite useless. Still having a hard time digesting how this functionality could be lost....

• Susan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back Relative References in Macro Recording in Excel 365 for Mac! I cannot imagine why Microsoft would omit it-- very frustrating and annoying. I'm paying $70 a year for the software, and features that USED to be in my Excel 2011 are missing!

• Jack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And Micros - - t have absolutely no incentive to fix it. They want you to have to buy a Windoze machine. Do I hear "anti-trust" from any lawyers in the audience?

3 years and 4 months of comments and no response by Microsoft.

They are not listening and they don't care.

• James Hohenthaner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WHY THE F! would Microsoft (king of spreadsheets) decide to remove relative cell references as an option in the Macro recording feature for Mac Office 365?! It's a seriously DUMB move and honestly, when you look at this extraction of a KEY FEATURE of macro recording (literally for decades!) makes me shake my head.

TXT to Table is a very important feature, and having relative-macro commands to manipulate is an important necessity to get my job done.

• Mark Harradine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Relative references are so much more flexible, would be great (i.e. pretty much essential), to have this feature available again for Mac.

• David James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are several lines of discussion on the problems faced by people using Office 2016 & 2019 for Mac relating to VBA macro programming which have been ignored for a considerable time (at least 4 years). Microsoft need to do something about this. No relative ref control, userforms and dataforms are all missing and make the software unusable for serious work.

Other software companies will fill this gap if you don’t!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base