Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Modern Charts for Excel

Make the Modern Charts (Treemap, Sunburst etc) that are available on the Windows version of Office also available on the Mac version

326 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Charles Sultana shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Product Owner, Office.com) responded  · 

Hi All – the new version of Excel for Mac (version 16.x) includes the modern chart types. There are TreeMap, Sunburst, Waterfall, and Histogram charts now available. Office 365 subscribers also get Funnel and Map charts (as on Excel for Windows). There are some improvements coming for all these chart types in the next few months.

To update to the latest version of Excel, go to the Help menu and click Check for Updates.

Thanks – Steve K [MS Excel]

67 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Luis Camacho commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's really disappointing not to have such an important feature like modern charts are.

And the last update from Microsoft was one year ago! Isn't a year enough to solve an important request like this one?

• Nick KT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[UK final year Grad student] Seriously disappointing that this hasn't been sorted out yet - is there any ETA in the coming 3 months? Probably not, after all Apple have been saying 'its round the corner' for over a year!

• Edna Reichle-Terry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That response is practically a year old!

My Excel online training course and text book have it as an exercise: Insert a treemap chart

Let's go Apple!!

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not having the charting capabilities in Excel 2016 for the Mac is making it impossible for me to complete a Microsoft-sponsored Data Analysis course. Terrific....

• Michael Bishop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we please get the latest ETA on this? I need to decide whether to hold out for the modern charts or attempt awkward workarounds (e.g. bit.ly/2qXmbd9).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please. I am trying to make the argument to use Excel instead of other stats programs in our office. These limitations do not help the cause.

@Scott - Coming up on a year since your last update that Microsoft is "working on it..." Still No Joy here in the field... Can we get an update?

I'm curious if there's any better information on the availability of the modern charts in Excel 2016 Mac; please let us know, if so, Scott.

• Ani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Precisely why I have avoided using Excel for teaching purposes. Too many vagaries between platforms and missing functionalities that make for a logistical nightmare.

• David Cox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are planning to use Excel 2016 extensively on our large first year Statistics course at Victoria University of Wellington, starting in February 2017. Will we have to tell the students who use a Mac that the very good histogram and boxplot features are not available to them??

The previewed new charting functions (Waterfall, Treemap, Sunburst, Box plot, etc.) are not on Excel 2016 for Mac.

And also: Why Solver doesn't work on Excel 2016 for Mac?

Could anyone explain why ?

Thanks.

• Derek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, for the love of all this is decent and good, release these charts soon!

• Josue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here, is embarrassing for us as mac users, because others make fun of us for not having the full set of options available for "normal" users. They take this as an advantage to tell : "See, that's what happen when you are on mac platform".

• Carmel Steindam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is very frustrating to not have access to the treemap function in excel. My clients are requesting this type of chart, but I cannot produce it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base