Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Bring back REAL keyboard customization!

It is completely not true, that keyboard customization through OS X keyboard preferences really works. Tell me how to make a shortcut to fill cell with color: for instance CTRL+2? Or how to paste values (without any mid-steps)? Or even do something more advanced than copy/paste with my own combination of inputs.

The fact is that office 2016 for mac lacks this feature and this "workaround" is NOT a replacement. Please bring back the option that was SO USEFUL!

287 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AlexK shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

62 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tim Clink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AlexK: Well I can't argue that it would not be easier to customize the keyboard for complex actions directly within Excel... What I can do is offer you another option.

First, as you mentioned OS X has shortcut actions assignable via the keyboard preferences pane.

Second, these keyboard preferences can be used to trigger Applescripts.

Lastly, Applescript supports direct manipulation of the GUI including "scriptable" applications like Excel.

Now you may be thinking that the last thing you need to learn is another scripting language... and I'd agree as AppleScript has a very different syntax than your probably accustomed to in Excel with VBA. However, it should be possible to leverage the Applescript editor (or my preference ScriptDebugger) to "record" the script as actions are performed in Excel. Then tie your Applescript back to the keyboard shortcut in the prefs pane and you should be in business. Might be worth a try.

If it turns out that Excel 2016 cannot be recorded, don't give up. A recordable application in MacOS must be written to pass it's actions as events to the OS to be recorded. If it is not recordable, it is likely scriptable with a little bit of learning and effort. I believe there is even a Applescript call that allows you to run a VB Script within the workbook. In this case, you might prefer a editor like ScriptDebugger (Late Night Software) as it has a very good object and event browser to determine what the application supports. Comparatively Apple's own AppleScript editor looks at you with a blank stare expecting you to know what to type.

Hopefully this will help you to bridge the gap until Microsoft brings back some of the missing features.

Here are a couple of links that might be useful:
        http://veritrope.com/the-basics-using-keyboard-shortcuts-with-applescripts/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/113891

• Jose Geraldo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

where this the icon of printer in the applicatory ones of office 2016? It must have an icon of printing in the icons of fast access

1 2 4 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base