Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Bring back REAL keyboard customization!

It is completely not true, that keyboard customization through OS X keyboard preferences really works. Tell me how to make a shortcut to fill cell with color: for instance CTRL+2? Or how to paste values (without any mid-steps)? Or even do something more advanced than copy/paste with my own combination of inputs.

The fact is that office 2016 for mac lacks this feature and this "workaround" is NOT a replacement. Please bring back the option that was SO USEFUL!

287 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AlexK shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

62 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BrianC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have Command-Option-i set as a MAC OS X keyboard shortcut to the Excel menu item Insert-Copied Cells. When I first press this key nothing happens. If I move the cursor up to the Insert menu and click Insert the menu drops down. Frustratingly, the menu item actually reads "Copied Cells" and my shortcut key combination so apparently Excel knows about the shortcut but refuses to execute it. Anyway, next I release the mouse button and the menu snaps back up. No menu item was selected, I only clicked on Insert then released. Now the keyboard shortcut works.

I have the same problem with a shortcut Command-Shift-d set to Delete. Nothing happens with this shortcut until I toggle the menu.

• Richard Widman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are many practical macros I run that I have had on the tool bar for many versions of Excel (user since version 1.2).
        Give us back the ability to put buttons there to run the macros.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So true. I used the Office 365 trial but have gone back to 2011 in order to use basic shortcuts such as 'Paste Values' which I use all the time.

• Aaron I commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was the most useful feature of Excel 2011. It allowed you to perform nearly any necessary function through custom shortcuts, eliminating the need to transition back and forth from keyboard to mouse.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Under format cell you can program the cell to change color when a specific number, letter or word, is entered into the cell. I use this all the time when making a schedule for my department.

• Michael I commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the default paste values shortcut on excel 2016 for mac i believe is ctrl+cmd+v - how is one supposed to even press this with their left hand (since we is typed by the left hand) without looking at keyboard??? has anyone actually thought about it when designing these shortcuts? why did't you make like 5 keys that user is supposed to press with one hand... really ridiculous...

• Michael I commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what an idiot removed this feature???? especially on a mac - i am sitting and wasting a shitload of time on trying to find and customize keyboard shortcuts instead of doing necessary work!!!!!

• DP1604 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've lost the ability to Customise the Toolbar... AND Keyboard Shortcuts are, at best, limited; bye bye functionality for the vast majority of users!

Surprise, one size does NOT fit all - many users have particular functions they use repeatedly in their day, making the ability to customise the toolbar or make custom keyboard shortcuts very desirable (I feel "essential")

I can't believe how much impact this loss of functionality has had on my productivity - I've taken the time out from work to add to this and other Forums, don't worry I'll catch up with my work by using Office for Windows on my laptop; it's so far ahead of the Mac version in many ways, not least in having MY buttons and shortcuts available

• Jeff Chapman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree with the need for an intuitive way to assign Excel commands to keyboard shortcuts in Excel 2016 for Mac, especially those commands not found in the menus. This was available in Excel 2011 for Mac, and is now inexplicably missing—completely!—from Excel 2016 for Mac.

For instance, I was previously able to assign Command + Shift + ; to zoom in on the worksheet. Now that this option is completely unavailable, there is no quick and effective way to zoom in and out on an Excel worksheet by using the keyboard.

This has sadly resulted in a drop of productivity. It is not a changed feature—it is a complete loss of functionality. It is available in Word 2016 for Mac, but missing in Excel.

I strongly request for the development team to do their best to bring this back ASAP. An upgrade should not result in basic losses of functionality and inconvenience for users like this.

• Neal Sofge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please bring back this incredibly useful feature, along with the ability to delete shortcuts we don't need.

OS X keyboard shortcuts work by matching a string in a menu item. This will not always work with Office for two reasons: 1) Office menu commands are not consistent and are not always unique strings; and 2) Many commands that I was able to customize in previous versions of Office are not available in the menus (e.g., Excel Delete Row).

• BrianC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I created a macro to paste values and assigned a shortcut to it. Unfortunately macro shortcuts only accept Option+Cmd.

Sub PasteValues()
        '
        ' PasteValues Macro
        '
        ' Keyboard Shortcut: Option+Cmd+v
        '
        Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:= _
        False, Transpose:=False
        End Sub

• AlexK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We all hope, that you'll fix that! This feature really HELPS! :)

Guys seriously, it's so annoying. And yes I do have the latest version, and no it doesn't go far enough in this area.

At least have an option for this. So with one option I can make all the shortcuts the same as on windows.

I'm missing this feature too! The way described in previous post does not substitute this option!

• AlexK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Tom for your comment, I will definately try your solution, even I'm not so good at VBA or any other scripting - this feature was extremely important to me.

However I still cannot believe that they remove features that are usefull. They have finally fixed opening big xls files (they work much faster in 2016( but failed to provide important features from 2011...

Thanks and I hope they will fix that in the next update!

Feedback and Knowledge Base