Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

Bring back REAL keyboard customization!

It is completely not true, that keyboard customization through OS X keyboard preferences really works. Tell me how to make a shortcut to fill cell with color: for instance CTRL+2? Or how to paste values (without any mid-steps)? Or even do something more advanced than copy/paste with my own combination of inputs.

The fact is that office 2016 for mac lacks this feature and this "workaround" is NOT a replacement. Please bring back the option that was SO USEFUL!

287 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AlexK shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

62 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Overall I am extremely disappointed in Office 2016 ... as it has increased my workload by over 20% ... because shortcut features are not the same as Office 2011

I read that you think you have fixed things (as a COMPLETED ITEM) when you say we can now use the iOS system of creating shortcuts ... but it is limited and some shortcuts are not possible.

There are 2 shortcuts I would particularly like to have fixed:

1) Paintbrush
        2) Fill Color

• Phil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Steve, that is so wonderful. If I can add to it as you work, some of the commands (with or without keyboard) have disappeared too - e.g. Straightforward Paste Formatting and Paste Values instructions. Those and a regular toggle for Light Shading as a keyboard command would be excellent to have back again. (My use of those commands cannot be counted).

• DP1604 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will be SOOOOO good; it means I will finally be able to use 2016 for all my work, not 2011 for most of it and 2016 for the basics!

• Claire Sela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just upgraded to Excel 2016 and the customize keyboard option is missing. i had very useful shortcut to paste as values an now i cant use it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just 'upgraded' from 2011 to 2016. I have keyboard shortcuts in my muscle memory from years of working with Excel. Why was keyboard shortcut customization removed?? And why is this suggestion to add it back under review for 3 years? I don't want to downgrade to 2011 but it looks like it's the only option. The mentioned option through System prefs is not working.

• Joel Lingenfelter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really do think decisions like this are made in a vacuum. Excel for the Mac was released in 1985. On the mac only. Some of us have been using the product nearly that long. In my case I started with 2.2a. Needing to work quickly I learned every keyboard shortcut that could save me time every day. When Excel 2001 came out and they remapped things like command-b to control-b it took a while to get my fingers to use the new keys, but at least the core ideas (b = clear) did not go away. Excel 2016 is the first time I've ever reverted versions (ok, to be honest, I skipped 5 because it was terrible).

2016 changes all the keyboard shortcuts I've memorized since 1989 and gives us no way to change them back. It's also prettier when moving from cell to cell, but slower. If you survey 100 excel heavy users as to what is better, fast or pretty, you will get 100 out of 100 saying give me speed.

I want to use excel 2016. Really. But the keyboard shortcut issue is an absolute deal breaker.

• Joel Lingenfelter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We used the same keyboard shortcuts for 30+ years (with some modification adapting to the control key for some). And you changed many of them. And took away the ability to customize them.

THAT'S JUST MEAN!

I still use Excel 2011. Because 2016 slows me way down.

• Phil Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am very upset that since I bought a stand alone version of Excel for Mac for $109.99 and not the 365 Subscription I can not customize the ribbons. This is just not right. Are there any other options that I can not use?

• MBT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great to see many features being added back to Excel 2016. Still looking forward to having this feature. Strange that it is absent in Excel but present in Word.

• Mr COSSON HUBERT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pouvoir augmenter la Taille des caractères dans le tableau situé sous le Ruban.
        Avec ma mauvaise vue, j'ai du mal à lire les formules.

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's nonsensical is that Word still has in-app custom keyboard shortcuts, and you can do things with them that aren't in the Menu Bar — unlike Excel relying on System Prefs, which only do shortcuts that can be found in Menus.

What kills me is that I've "upgraded" from Office 2008, and while Excel 2016 takes up THIRTY TWO TIMES more hard drive space, it's...

a) missing *basic*, common-sense features that were available in 2008 (keyboard shortcuts, formatting for comments)

and b) unstable as ****

I have a list of over 40 bugs I've discovered, and at least half of them are *really* bad — like basic rendering issues, keyboard shortcuts not working at all sometimes, and frequent bombs.

I've had a conversation with someone on the Excel development team, and I think most of these issues will *eventually* be addressed. But I really don't see what I'm getting for the extra GIGABYTE of disk space taken up by this "upgrade," other than a pretty UI whose "pretty" is causing many of the problems.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Customizable shortcuts for inserting values and inserting cells are badly needed, the default workflow is a joke. Setting keyboard shortcuts for Excel via preference pane in Sierra is not working.

Why has keyboard customization been removed in the first place? In a new program version, one would expect new features, not the removal of essential features. What a disaster. Sad.

• Landon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are missing key commands on the Mac version of Excel that I need to use. These features are exclusive to Windows Macs which makes it a complete hassle to work with Excel if you are a Mac user. Some features include the Quick Analysis, Find & Select, including such layouts as the Page Break layout.

Feedback and Knowledge Base