Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make Mac Excel Exactly Like Windows Excel

Being a TA of a class called "Introduction to Computer Modeling" which is a class that teaches students how to efficiently and properly use Excel and Access SPECIFICALLY for Windows 8, most of my students ignore my warnings and use Excel 2011 or 2016 for OS X and have no idea how to do anything because the interfaces and functionalities differ so greatly.

One of the major things is just interface inconsistency. The students read in the book and see in the "Simulation Training" (exercises that simulate Excel/Access in a browser) the Windows Excel 2013 version, but it's useless to…

80 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

15 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion and the votes on this topic. It is a great topic, but it’s too broad to help us prioritize which specific features are of most interest for users of Excel on Mac. Please look for other ideas that are more specific and add your votes to those. We are working to have more consistency between Mac and Windows, so voting for the specific features that are most important to you will help us prioritize what comes first.

• Latest Insider Slow is opening some sheets doubling row height

Opening some sheets seems to double the row height. (previously 13, doubles to 26). Affects entire sheet but not all workbooks and only happens on some spreadsheets.

You can select entire sheet and Format>Rows>Autofit and it goes back, save and open again and row heights doubled again.

But it only doubles once, so open height changes 13 to 26. Save and open again and how height stays at 26.

Pretty serious bug - I've had to restore previous release because I need to get stuff done. Previous version does not do the same on the same spreadsheet (i.e. previous version…

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • There needs to be a way to change the default formatting for comment boxes

The default formatting for Excel comments on Word for Mac 2011 is too small and I can't believe there isn't a way to change this from the preferences menu like you would an email signature. With how many comments I put into cells, it is mind blowing that I have to manually change the font size in each individual box.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi MH,

The existing comment boxes on Mac (and Windows for that matter) are pretty old and we won’t be updating them. we are looking at ways to bring commenting into the modern world however, so please stay tuned for that (they are likely to follow the paradigm in other Office apps like Word and PowerPoint).

Cheers,
          Dan [MS]

• Simple Addition & Subtraction Error

Please see attached screenshot. Pardon the blacked out information. When I enter the formula (working with currency) "=-59.99+61.18-1.19" the calculated result is "-2.22E-15". The value of the result is correctly 0, when the column is added together.

This does not occur if the calculation is "=-59.99-1.19+61.18". If a penny is added or subtracted (i.e. -1.20 or -1.18 at the end of the equation,) the calculated result is also correctly displayed as +/- 0.01. Additionally, if the equation is modified as "=-59.99+61.17-1.18," the correct result of "0" is displayed.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Correct beach balling problem

For spreadsheets with macros, there is beach balling when changing sheets, changing cells, or entering data. This occurs in Version 14.6.6, Excel for Mac 2011.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Indian Rupees currency symbol is not clearly visible

Indian Rupees currency symbol is not clearly visible (too thick/bold) in Microsoft Excel for Mac 2011 Version 14.6.2. It looks awkward for working. Please fix this.

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                declined  ·  Jeff Zhang (MSFT)Jeff Zhang (MSFT) responded

Dear Excel User

Thank you very much for your time and passion in submitting this feature request. We are doing our best to respond to suggestions that get at least 20 votes. However, we are closing ideas with fewer than 5 supporters that have had no activity for more than 60 days, with the intention of freeing up your votes. Please resubmit your idea if you think it’s super important. :)

Thanks,
                Microsoft Excel Team

• Incompatibility with El Capitan 10.11.2

Since upgrading to El Capitan 10.11.2, Excel is corrupting newly saved versions of files.

3 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Dear Excel User

Thank you very much for your time and passion in submitting this feature request. We are doing our best to respond to suggestions that get at least 20 votes. However, we are closing ideas with fewer than 5 supporters that have had no activity for more than 60 days, with the intention of freeing up your votes. Please resubmit your idea if you think it’s super important. :)

Thanks,
                  Microsoft Excel Team

• Allow users to jump from workbook to workbook (Used to be "control-tab" in 2011)

Control-Tab now defaults to a search function within the existing workbook. It used to allow you to jump between all open workbooks.

This is an extremely important feature for business application as I'm constantly using more than one workbook at a time.

2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Dear Excel User

Thank you very much for your time and passion in submitting this feature request. We are doing our best to respond to suggestions that get at least 20 votes. However, we are closing ideas with fewer than 5 supporters that have had no activity for more than 60 days, with the intention of freeing up your votes. Please resubmit your idea if you think it’s super important.

Thanks,
                    Microsoft Excel Team

• fix integer error

Cell A1 holds the number 165.6
                    I want to get the decimal 6 right to the decimal period.
                    Cell A2 holds this formula: =integer(10*(A1-integer(A1)))
                    It returns: 5
                    It should return 6
                    The formula: =10*(A1-integer(A1))
                    returns: 6.00000

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Simon,

The issue you’re running into is a result of how floating point math in Excel works, and is not something we will be changing (or could change in any reasonably backwards compatible way)

In this case, a better formula to use would be the following, which should calculate as you are expecting:

=ROUNDDOWN), 0)

Cheers,
                      Dan [MS]

• STOP Compromising the One time Pay Version of Office

I am getting concerned that many of the new updates/features you have posted only apply to Office 365 users. I paid full price for the software and somehow, I am not entitled to all the features (e.g., toolbar customization) you roll out. Sounds like BAIT AND SWITCH! and deceptive advertising. PLEASE EXPLAIN.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Steve,

As with previous versions of Office (Mac Office 2011, 2008, etc.), once we release a major version of the product, we try to only release bug fixes, performance improvements and security patches for that version (historically in the form of Service Packs, and Monthly Updates).

With Mac Office 2016, that’s no different – the product still stays largely as it was when we released it, and over time we work to improve the quality and performance in areas where we hear that some customers are running into issues. This is what the cost that you pay for the one-time purchase covers.

We also have another product now – Office 365 – which is a monthly/yearly subscription. That version of Office is the one that gets regular feature updates as part of that subscription, but it also has a lot of other benefits as well – such as the…

• Support for Arabic in MS Excel 2011

Please provide support for Arabic in MS Excel 2011.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This idea is too vague for us to address. Please create ideas for specific items where you’d like to see the performance improved, which will be more actionable from our side.

Also, we’re primarily focused on Mac Excel 2016 at this point.

Cheers,
                            Dan [MS]

• 2 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • fix all the bugs

Here are 17 documented bugs in excel 2016 for Mac: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2016-macexcel/a-list-of-excel-2016-issues-on-a-mac/1dbe0597-7ea1-4125-9abb-ded3bb9eb22e?page=1&lc=1033#mac

There are probably more. The thing is, Excel is a mature product and these bugs are basic things like scrolling, dragging, and clicking. We get it, M$ has a monopoly on spreadsheets so the developers can just sit around doing nothing. Stop being a bunch of _____s and fix your product. We are tired of your lame excuses.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

This site is for new feature ideas. Answers.microsoft.com is a great place for bugs (so it’s good to know they are listed there already). We do have team members monitoring that forum as well, to make sure that the appropriate bugs get addressed!

Thanks for participating,
                                Dan [MS]

• Allow opening files with no xls, xlsx, xla, xlsm... suffixes

Imaging you have a file saved as MyFile on a PC, with no suffix. There is no way you can open it with Excel 2016 Mac. First time in history Excel prevents you from opening a file. As opposed to all other Excel versions where you can choose the file format (from specific to all files) to open a workbook, it is not possible. Note sure if it is related, but it is not possible to open it programmatically even with the Application.DisplayAlerts set to false. The only (hughly workaround) is to rename the file to xls, then open it,…

5 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

The file extensions for Excel are required (also for other Office document formats) in order for the app to be able to run some security checks against the file. As such, the requirement that the extensions be present isn’t going to change.

Cheers,
                                  Dan [MS]

• We want to be able to uninstall single unused Office apps

E.g. I use Word, PowerPoint and Excel only and I don't want Outlook and OneNote, but I can't uninstall them!

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Andrea,

I’m marking this as declined as it’s not something that the Excel team has any control over, and as such, we won’t be making this change (though, I’ve passed the feedback on).

By declining the idea, I’m trying to get your votes back to you, so you can vote on other ideas.

Cheers,
                                    Dan [MS]

• Better support for Macros!

I work for Northern Illinois University - we use a time sheet that has a dropdown menu to select the date and time. This doesn't work on any version of Excel for Mac.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Michael,

That dropdown to select the date/time is an ActiveX control, which is a technology that’s not supported on the OS X (any non-Windows really) platform.

Longer term, the new JavaScript API that we’re developing should allow solution builders to create similar functionality that does work across different OSes, so stay tuned!

Cheers
                                      Dan [MS]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base