Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Sort by manual in the Pivot Table

Ability to manually sort columns or rows is missing. This feature is available in other versions. See attached screenshot where the "Manual" feature should be. Thanks in advance!

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is already supported in Mac Excel. To manually sort items in a PivotTable (within their parent), you can:

1. Select the “entire” item by moving to the left third of the cell containing the item label (the left- or top-most) until you see an arrow, and then click. This will select the item and it’s data.

2. Move your mouse slightly right or down until it becomes a hand. You can now drag that item to the location where you want it to manually sort.

Hope that helps,
      Dan [MS]

• Make Formulas EASIER TO READ with Visual Links!

When I double click a cell, and get a formula, ex) =M1+M2, If my CURSOR HOVERS over any one of the boxes referenced for a split second or longer, the reference in question should appear visually as a COLOURED LINE CONNECTING THE BOX BEING EDITED TO THE BOX BEING REFERENCED.

So if I'm like, Hmmm which box is M2? And I don't want to go through the labourious process of finding M2 in a forest of cells, the cell I'm editing will magically have a line in the same colour as the M2 reference within the cell appear, which connects…

4 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This is already supported. When you have a cell that contains a formula, you can click on the cell, then on the Formulas Ribbon, click “Trace Precedents” or “Trace Dependents.”

Excel will draw arrows for you to the cells that contribute to the cell value, or that it affects, depending on which button you click

Hope that helps,
        Dan [MS]

• 1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Make file names longer than 31 characters

Be able to save file names that are longer than 31 characters.
          Very annoying.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Make freezing frames OR embedding a picture within a cell ONE CLICK SIMPLE

If i want to freeze a frame below a line there should be a quickbutton for it.

Equally, if I want to embed a picture in a cell or a merged cell, so that as the margins move, the picture expands and contracts to FILL THE CELL, there should be a ONE BUTTON COMMAND FOR THIS!

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Cell formatting

Allow for multiple cell formatting where a range is defined and a separate dialog box appears where you click on cell or define a range to format. The formatting takes place inside the dialog box and the spreadsheet is updated after you press the ok button.

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Joining top of graphs with a line

simple really ... i have a bar chart and i want a line which joins the top of all the bars.
                I click on the chart but i cannot figure out how to do this simple task. The Line icon in Chart Layout-Format is not highlighted. Double click chart does not reveal any options to join lines.
                simple - but cannot do.

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

What you are looking for is called a “series lines”. These are only supported on stacked column and bar charts. To turn on the “series lines”, use the following steps.

1) click on the chart
                  2) In the Design tab of the Chart tools, click on “Add Chart Element”
                  3) Select “Lines” > “Series Lines”

Thanks,
                  Scott [MSFT[

• Make Charting Easier!!

Do you know how you can toggle the way a function is locked by hitting Fn-F4, and A4 goes to $A$4, to A$4, to $A4, to A4 again? I want that kind of feature for charting!

So if I select two random columns and hit LINE GRAPH, Excel should give me a line graph quickly, then if I find the axes are wrong, I should be able to switch them by hitting FnF4, and then switch them again by hitting the same function again.

The same should be true of any other thpe of graph, I should be able to…

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • XY chart Labels

XY chart Labels for each point HAVE TO be an option from another range, not just the values

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• grid lines white

The last update destroyed the grid lines. Automatic color for grid lines in active sheet is alway white. I have to change it to grey in every document!

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Heinz,

We didn’t make any changes to gridlines, so probably what happened is that they got inadvertently set to white on your machine. To change them to the default (for all new workbooks):

1. Start Excel
                        2. Go to Excel > Preferences > View > Show in workbook
                        3. Make sure that “Gridlines” is checked, and that the drop down there is set to “Automatic”

Hope that helps. In the future, a better pace for this type of question is the answers.microsoft.com site (you can post in the Mac Excel area)

Cheers,
                        Dan [MS]

• Command, Shift, Arrow Keys to Select Any Cells

I am having issues selecting and highlighting blank cells in a workbook. There is a new feature I believe where if I start to select the data the Cmd + Shift + Arrows works properly and has a bit of an auto stop, so it recognizes where the data ends, however, if I want to select any blank cells beyond that data, it will not move. I have to hand select these cells and use the scroll. There are times where I want to remove formatting in the blank area that has been applied to the blank cells until the…

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Julie,

To select empty cells, you just want to hold down the shift key as you press arrows. The ctrl key will jump to the next cell with data (or the end of the row/column if there’s no more data there)

Hope that helps. If you’ve got more questions in this space, head on over to the Excel forum at http://answers.microsoft.com where there are experts to help.

Cheers,
                          Dan [MS]

• Make it so that anowner of a Mac and a PC can have the app on both machines with one license.

I use both the Mac(mainly) and sometimes Windows 10 PC. I would like to use Excel on both machines with one license.

5 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Please add a Print icon to the Excel Quick Access toolbar!

It would be a lot more efficient if there was a simple Printer icon in the Quick access toolbar of Excel.

7 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Please add ALL of the functionality in Windows Excel and make Mac Excel to be the same

1. In Windows Excell you can search for data in one tab or in all tabs in the workbook.

In Mac Excel the functionality exists to search for the positioned to tab only.

To search all, user will have to select each tab and search on that tab.

If you have 255 tabs, you have to repeat that search 255 times.

That is an inconsistent functionality.

2. In Windows Excel, user can utilise keyboard to toggle between several open workbooks. In Mac excel, user cannot do same.

21 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting this suggestion. This request is already supported in Excel for Mac. You can search the workbook and if you click Next/Previous in the search field, it will take you to the sheets where the search result is found. You can also go to Edit > Find > Find…, and choose the option to find “Within” the workbook or the sheet.

With regard to switching between open workbooks, you can press CMD + ` (the key above the TAB key on US keyboard). This switches between windows in Excel.

Steve K [Microsoft Excel]

• Command+Shift+[right arrow/down arrow] does not work in Excel 2016 for mac

If I want to select all the rows from a certain row, I can no long use command+shift+ [down arrow] to select rest of the rows. the selection does not move at all. (The purpose is that I want to hide all the rows below a certain row)
                                The same goes for column selection too.
                                Can you please tell me how to do it in Excel for mac?

24 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please find all the keyboard shortcuts here – https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Keyboard-shortcuts-in-Excel-2016-for-Mac-acf5419e-1f87-444d-962f-4e951a658ccd#bkmk_movescroll

Note that in some cases, a key combination may be used by Mac OS for some purpose and therefore not work as expected in Excel. An example is when you have more than one keyboard input source added to your Mac, and then press CTRL+Space, it may switch input sources rather than selecting the entire column. You can turn off this shortcut in the Keyboard preferences > Shortcuts > Input Sources of your Mac so that the key combination will work as expected in Excel.

• Excel for Mac 2016 lots of bugs

Need the ability to turn off Glide/Cell animation.
                                  There is a glitch in the Formula Bar when changing formulas (cursor position off when clicking)
                                  The "transpose" in paste special has been removed.
                                  You can no longer paste from one excel file into the cell of another file with a formula already in there. 

4 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Chart titles linked to spreadsheet cells

In the Excel for Mac 2011 version you could link a chart title to a spreadsheet cell. Chart title would update if content of spreadsheet changed. While this still works in existing files you cannot link chart titles in Excel for Mac 2016 to spreadsheet cells. – Pls enable again. Data input field is grayed out…

8 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base