Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix the bug that prevents using File Save or File Save As to name or rename or copy a file

Get rid of the "Tags" line in the File Save and File Save As dialogue boxes. Since this was introduced in an "Update" it causes the Cancel and Save/OK buttons to be off the bottom of the screen and inaccessible. Thus you cannot either Save the File or Cancel the operation ad return to the unsaved spreadsheet. The only way out of this impasse is to Force Quit Excel, thereby losing all prior work, re-starting Excel and starting another spreadsheet.

The only workaround I have found is to select a file in Finder, use Duplicate File to create a copy…

2 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

What version of Mac Excel are you running now, and what version didn’t have the issue you’re raising?

Thanks,
      Dan [MS]

• Why is it that the most important tool in the Tool Bar, the one for editing what you have entered in a cell, KEEPS DISAPPEARING!!!

The field that is necessary when you need to edit or add to ANYTHING in a cell seems to have no name and periodically DISAPPEARS FROM THE TOOL BARS!!!!! I can't even find a name for it!!! DAMN! This reminds me of the old Lotus 1-2-3 when you were "Just supposed to know" that f2 was delete, it wasn't written down anywhere, it wasn't even on the key template! This is the same thing, the field I use the most is just GONE!!!!

3 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you give a bit more info about the control you are talking about? (maybe a screenshot, or describe the control a bit more)

Unfortunately, while I can tell you’re frustrated, I’m not quite sure what tool you’re referring to. In order to edit a cell, all you should have to do is click the cell and start typing.

Also – what version of Excel are you using?

Cheers,
        Dan [MS]

• 1,721 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

667 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi All –
          We would love it if you can test out multi-threaded calculation in Excel for Mac, and send us any feedback about it. To test it, you need to opt into the Insiders program and get the “Fast” updates. You can do this by going to the Help menu and choosing Check for Updates. You need to update to Excel version 16.8 (171111).

If you find any issues, please use the smiley-face button in the top corner of the Excel window to send in your feedback.

How to test multi-threaded calculation:
          The calculation mode gets set by the first workbook you open or create after you launch Excel. Multi-threaded calculations will not be enabled if the first workbook you open was last saved by Excel v15.x for Mac. You can enable multi-threaded calculations by using Windows Excel to save a workbook with multi-threaded calculations enabled. If that workbook…

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base