Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please allow side by side window view in an excel workbook

I am so used to being able to alt+tab between two windows in the same Excel workbook. This should be available in Office for Mac 365

5 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Customizable Ribbon Menu Item

In my opinion, there are too many preset ribbon items, which makes finding the command/tools one needs more difficult and time consuming. Immediate access to some tools is essential. The Quick Access Toolbar attempts to provide this function, but let's face it, the QAT is relegated to a place of very low prominence and capacity. And besides, some tools do not currently function if placed in the QAT (e.g. Paste Values) and some tools are not available for the QAT (e.g. Format Painter).

Would it be possible to have the capability of having a customizable Ribbon Menu in the same…

6 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • The CONCAT Function explanation has an incorrect example.

Example 3, a table of examples has =CONCAT(C2,",",B2) but the result shown is incorrect

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for letting us know, we updated the topic and are publishing it now. Should be live in a few hours (11/22/2016)

Cheers,
          Dan [MS]

• Fix the Broken Carat in the Formula Bar

The formula bar in Excel is horrendously broken. The carat randomly skips around and you cannot highlight text properly which makes it impossible to accurately edit formulas. This is especially heinous with long formulas, however this occurs with formulas OF ANY LENGTH.

Here is a video of this infuriating behavior:

https://vimeo.com/165402559

63 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Fix click-drag to select cells in Mac

I can't click-drag to select multiple cells with the mouse/trackpad. When trying to do so, it only selects the first cell I click. I can only select multiple cells with the keyboard. I am currently running version 15.25 (160719) - new install on a new Mac running OS X 10.11.6.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Tye,

This issue only repros on Macs with the new Tracpad (or new MBP with force touch).

We’ve fixed the issue in build 15.25 (160721) and later.

Until you get that build (you may be able to update to it now), the immediate workaround is todo the following:

1. Go to System preference→Track pad→
              2. Disable Force click and haptic feedback

Cheers,
              Dan [MS]

• Fix column width dialog box to accept units in points, not inches

Dear Microsoft. How can I change column width measurements in Excel 2016 for Mac from inches back to characters or points, as in Excel for Windows?

I recently started using Excel 2016 for Mac to test templates for sharing compatibility between the Windows and Mac platforms.

After selecting one or multiple columns, and then right-clicking and selecting Column Width, one would normally enter points into the dialog box. But in Excel 2016 for Mac I am forced to enter inches instead of points. Ironically, when I grab a column border in the column heading, I am able to resize the…

4 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for requesting this update. This has been fixed and you should see the column width shown in characters and row height in pixels in the dialog. Please update to Excel for Mac version 15.34 or greater to see this.

• Freeze Panes broken in 15.19.1

Frozen rows and columns scroll into the unfrozen area at the top and left when scrolling to the top row or leftmost column. After scrolling into the frozen cells, clicking the the top or leftmost unfrozen cell selects multiple cells equal to the number of frozen rows and columns.

39 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is fixed as of 15.20, which was released in May (so if you haven’t updated, please do!)

Cheers,
                  Dan [MS]

older—————————————-

Hi all,

We know that this broke in 15.19.1, and we’ve got a fix that will be in 15.20.

Sorry for the inconvenience. It should be that once you scroll down, so that the duplicated rows are no longer shown, they won’t be shown again.

Cheers,
                  Dan [MS]

• Fix navigation arrows for worksheet tabs in full screen view

When using excel on a mac in full screen view the arrows that appear to the very left of the first tab name do not work. This is super frustrating when you are using workbooks with many tabs that overflow the width of the screen. Switching through them with keyboard shortcuts to get to a tab that is off screen is very tedious.
                  This functionality returns in non-full screen views.

47 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Page Break Preview view

Please implement the "Page Break Preview" view like in Excel 2016 (Windows Version)

42 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This request has been completed. You can now find the Page Break Preview button next to the Page Layout View button on both the ribbon and in the status bar. Thanks again to everyone who asked for and voted for this suggestion.

Steve K [MS Excel]

• I would like to have the formula bar as a Mac user

Please add the formula bar for Mac users to increase the font size

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

We have this functionality already – the formula bar exists on all versions of Excel.

Cheers,
                        Dan [MS]

• Fix broken scrolling in Excel for Mac *** IN NORMAL VIEW *** (see other idea for Page Layout View)

Vertical mouse scrolling in Excel is laggy and jumpy in Normal View.

I've posted (and may others have posted) about this actress all of Microsoft's forms for months. This issue has existed since the first betas.

Here are some links:

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac/suggestions/9194508-erratic-mouse-scrolling-in-excel-15-2-3

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macofficepreview-macexcel/excel-2016-on-mac-jumpy-scrolling/391412e8-6c18-4796-b757-3a6613995306?auth=1

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2016-macexcel/excel-2016-mac-jumpy-scrolling/22583584-7b3a-4817-b401-f7267868adb2

Today's update, 15.15, did not fix this issue. I'm afraid we are still stuck on 2011 from a usability standpoint. This is awful.

I've uploaded a video of 15.15 here: https://twitter.com/rxcs/status/654031164001247232

216 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

172 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update 2016-06-30:
                          Hi all,

I’m marking this idea as completed, as we’ve determined that scrolling in “Normal view” is working correctly on various monitor types/Mac hardware.

Note 1: We do know that scrolling in Page Layout View (where you see page margins, like Word) is slower. If you are experiencing slow/laggy scrolling there, please go add your vote to this idea and *include a video if you can – that really helps us!*

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac/suggestions/15044469-scrolling-is-slow-laggy-in-page-layout-view-where

Note 2: You can tell if you are in Page Layout or Normal View by clicking on the View Ribbon, and then checking the two left-most buttons. The view you are in will be “selected” there.

Cheers,
                          Dan [MS]

=========

Update 2016-04-13:
                          We rolled out more scrolling fixes in 15.21, and we think this fixes most of the remaining issues of scrolling in Normal View. (At least internally for us, it seems to have fixed…

• default workbook

Please tell us where (and how, if necessary) we can change the default workbook.

If that is not currently accessible to users, please add it.

I have tried to create my own default workbook in the Templates and Startup folders, both with and without a file extension, but all to no avail.

Word allows us to create our own Normal.dotm in the Templates folder and that gets used for word defaults. Be nice if Excel did it in a similar way.

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Maintain copied data on the clipboard even if the "dancing ants" aren't shown around the copied range

I understand that the clipboard can use A lot of memory, but It is sooo frustrating having to re copy everything because I accidently clicked in the wrong cell before pasting.

22 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The clipboard is now persistent in some cases where it would have been cleared in the past. For example, if you copy some cells, and then insert a new sheet, you can paste the copied cells. In the past, the clipboard would have been cleared when you inserted the new sheet.

• Introduce an equivalent to F2 on PC to edit and F4 to make cell references absolute

Introduce a shortcut to make cell references absolute like F4 on PC version (F2 edit equivalent would be helpful too)

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If a function key doesn’t work as you expect it to, press the FN key in addition to the function key. If you don’t want to press the FN key each time, you can change your Apple system preferences:

Go to Apple > System Preferences > Keyboard.

On the Keyboard tab, select the check box for Use all F1, F2, etc. as standard function keys.

Cheers,
                                Dan [MS]

• Support UTF-8 for .csv import/export

UTF-8 is the dominant character encoding in the Western hemisphere.

At present when importing and exporting .csv files UTF-8 is not supported and non-standard characters become garbled!

This is a massive wtf!

P.s. regex support in find and replace would also be super useful!

137 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

= 2016-12-12 =
                                  Hi all,

Just wanted to share the news that we’ve added support for UTF-8 encoded CSV files to Mac Excel.

Once you install Excel 2016 build 15.29 or later (which hit’s the streets shortly), you should have a working UTF-8 CSV option as one of the file types (and of course, we load them too).

Cheers,
                                  Dan [MS]

PS – You may notice the option in Save As UTF-8 CSV in 15.28 as well. We had a couple bugs in it then, which is why we didn’t announce it. Please wait for 15.29 before using it.

= 2015-11-26 =

Thanks for the suggestion Matt. We’ll be taking a look at CSVs all up (there’s been a number of requests around them) and we’ll make sure we consider Mac as well. As always, to help us prioritize, keep the votes coming! We’ll be factoring those…

• Enable pictures or photos to be inserted into the header of an excel sheet

Enable pictures or photos to be inserted into the header of an excel sheet

712 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

307 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks to all who made their voice heard on this one. In the July 11, 2017 update (version 15.36), you can insert images in headers and footers on Excel for Mac.

Steve K [Microsoft Excel]

• No more warnings about saving as CSV, especially when I didn't change anything

I don't know how many hundreds (thousands?) of times I've told Excel that, yes, I really truly do mean to save this file as a CSV. I recognize that not all users will understand that CSV doesn't do cool formulas or formatting, etc., but I do and I still want to do it. And I want to do it a lot. Please, give me a way to opt out of these useless warnings!

9 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2016-09-07

We’re done – you should no longer get a warning dialog about data loss when saving a file as CSV, as long as the file was originally opened as a CSV file.

Instead, we’ve added a non-intrusive business bar (that you can ignore if you choose) that let’s you quickly Save As the file if you have made changes that are not savable in CSV; if you ignore it and just Save, we’ll just save out the CSV values as you’d expect.

We actually rolled this out starting on August 22, 2016 with build 15.25 for O365 users. Later builds have this update as well of course.

Thanks for participating in UserVoice – we definitely value your input. You can now use whatever votes you’d allocated for this idea for other ideas.

Cheers,
                                      Dan [MS]

• Navigation of Tabs - Use Ctrl+Tab to tab between Sheets

Is it possible to use a simple key combination to switch tabs? Like <CMD><TAB> to switch between windows... Maybe make it an option to change the <CTRL><TAB> function which switches through worksheets. When I'm in a single worksheet I often want to <TAB> through the tabs!

6 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Allow users to turn off cursor "glide" animation (cell selection animation)

l find the silly animation that "glides" the cursor from cell to cell to be distracting. That's bad. But the fact that there is no way to turn it off is absolutely infuriating. Let me turn it off.

959 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

472 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good morning (5 April, 2016),

I’m happy to be able to update that we’ve released an update for this issue in Mac Excel 15.21, which has rolled out to Office Insiders today and pending any blocking issues we find there should start rolling out to everyone in a week or so.

In order to turn off this animation once you have the updated build, you’ll want to go to Excel > Preferences > Edit and uncheck the “Provide feedback with animation” checkbox.

Hope that helps,
                                          Dan [MS]

=========

Greetings and happy Friday (2.26),

Good news – based on the feedback here, we’re going to hook up all of the new animations – including this cursor glide animation – to a setting in Excel > Preferences so that you can turn them off.

Cheers,
                                          Dan [MS]

• Show scroll bars all the time

I will appreciate the possibility to have the horizontal and vertical scroll bars show all the time

21 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Greetings,

We’ve fixed this issue as of 15.15, and scrollbar visibility should now be respected.

Enjoy!
                                            Dan [MS]

← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base