Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable Axis Format For New Chart Types in the Excel 2016 for Mac 16.9 Release

In Excel 2016 for Mac, new chart types were introduced, including Histogram, Tree Map, Sunburst and Box and Whisker. When attempting to format the X & Y Axes, either the Format box appeared with no parameters, or no Format box shows at all. This is critical, core functionality and is needed ASAP, for example a 16.10 update. With my specific case, /i was trying to adjust Bin parameters on a Histogram, and the Format Axis box never appeared.

73 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

20 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi All – We are working to add the formatting capabilities for the new chart types. We’re hoping to release the update for this in June 2018.

We recognize there are currently some limitations with how you can use the chart types that have only recently been available in Excel for Mac, especially Histogram, and we are working hard to complete these.

• Fix VBA recording issue

Something I came across - which I suspect has been documents elsewhere but I can't readily see it so here goes.

When recording a macro in excel for mac 2016 for some reason the action of opening a file does not get recorded. The recorder literally doesn't register that you have opened the file. (Its a very useful step to provide the full syntax for the file path of the relevant file).

However when you close the file - that step is recorded as ActiveWorkbook.Close.

It took me a while to work out that the syntax from 2011 to 2016…

74 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting this issue, we are planning to address it, but in the meantime, you can do this with a command such as the following:

Application.Workbooks.Open “/Users/user_name/Downloads/MyWorkbook.xlsx”

Steve K [MS Excel]

• Improve Graph Drawing Performance

When scrolling (e.g. with mousewheel) and a graph that was previously outside the view area moves into the view area there is a significant delay before the graph is drawn (1+ sec). If there are several graphs there is an even worse delay.

The workbook is not complex and the same spreadsheet in Excel (for Mac) 2008 did not suffer such delays i.e. nothing to do with the volume of data or the spreadsheet - something to do with Excel 2016.

I've not tried different styles or types of graph, mine are just simple line plots based in data in…

86 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are investigating the best way to improve the performance of drawing charts after scrolling, and are prioritizing this along with all the other requests here.

Steve K [MS Excel]

• Add support for Get & Transform (formerly Power Query)

Make Get & Transform (formerly Power Query) available in Excel for Mac (like in Excel for Windows)

2,915 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

783 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Add Evaluate Formula to Mac app

Please add the evaluate formula dialogue box to the mac app. With it you can evaluate a formula step by step and see which part of the formula works and where the problem is.

270 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base