Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ISSUES in Excel MAC 2016

Hi I recently switched from excel 2011 to 2016. Using excel on mac seems like Microsoft purposefully left errors to serious excel users would have no option but to return to windows based computers. I am facing the following issues 1) black cross doesn't appear all the time so at times i am unable to drag or repeat data or formulas 2) when i click on a formula and it doesn't highlight all cells that formula is linked to 3) some times there is a lag, say i enter the numbers 100 into cell it, it takes sometimes very long…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. "What If" Question Environment for Business & Finance (like Quantrix, but better)

The idea is simple:

If I paste in a financial, excel 'knows' what it is automacally ie) Balance Sheet, and opens up a submenu that will enable me, should I click there, to ask WHAT IF questions of the statement. The answers will be posted to a new sheet, which is the output environment for the identified financial.

Quantrix has allowed you to do this since inception, but Quantrix does not make it seem 'plug & play simple.' So this is a MAJOR opportunity for Excel to make those features intuitive and easy to use, while being just as rich.…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add back the ability to select custom paper sizes

This is a regression from previous versions of Excel for mac. When doing page layout, it is a requirement for many users to be able to specify the paper size, regardless of what is currently made available by the printer driver. This was possible in previous versions of Excel, but now, the Page Layout / Size menu does not have a Custom option.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow data connection between data tables

In windows version the data connection is possible, but in OSX version not working.
    Pls add this feature in osx version too!

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add ribbon buttons and keyboard shortcuts for superscript and subsript

Why is it so much harder to make text superscript or subscript in Excel, both for mac and windows?

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Unable to insert pdf files as an objects

Enabling insert pdf file as an object. Currently only word can be added as an object...

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Fix ExportAsFixedFormat method

ExportAsFixedFormat method produces a "Run-time error '1004':

Application-defined or object-defined error" when trying to save (export) a pdf to a user folder (/Users/user/Documents for example)

As I see it only works if one saves to the sandbox path of Office (Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office), which is quite uncomfortable to work with.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add ability to highlight active row/column

Add the ability to highlight the active row and column that we've currently clicked on; would be useful for both windows and mac

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow Excel for Mac to run .xll files

There are many .xll add-ins that work under windows, but none of these can be run natively on Excel for Mac. Using a windows emulator is painful, buggy and sometimes slow.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make VBA GetFileName work in Mac. It works fine in Windows.

There is no simple means of selecting a file name from a VBA macro on the Mac platform. The only workaround devised (as far as I know) is incredibly clumsy and does not allow use of the GetFileName or ChDir routines.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Remove all subtotals on pivot tables

Add a checkbox for removing all subtotals on a Pivot Table like Windows Excel. It's frustrating to remove subtotals from each item individually.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add "query from Web" for Mac version

Add "query from Web" for Mac version

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow users to configure the active cell. It's so hard to find the active cell e.g., performing control+f and finding the cell referred to.

Allow users to configure the active cell. It's so hard to find the active cell e.g., performing control+f and then finding the cell referred to. Allow us to highlight the active ell, or change the outline color / weight of the line. The green color provided does not "pop" at all.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Unresponsiveness in Excel for Mac

Using Excel for Mac (v16.9) on desktop from an Office 365 pkg (issues while working with local files - not online).

Sporadic issues:
    1. Can't select a cell using a mouse (periodically) - forced to navigate via keyboard arrows
    2. Selected cells (when copying) won't un-select even after saving or double clicking in another cell
    3. Drag and drop doesn't always work - sometimes due to lag times
    4. Lag times in responsiveness (overall)

I've read about these issues related to v15 and saw that they were reported as fixed in v15.20. Why am I still experiencing these issues? Could…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. touch bar - highlighting

In the touch bar for Mac make that the function highlight "remember" the last color, like in the ribbon. Specially because the usual bright yellow does not appear in the touch bar menu of colors! Same for font color in touch bar.
    This would make a lot easier and helpful to use the touch bar to format cells

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Touchbar "edit cell contents" shortcut

Please put a "edit cell contents" touchbar button roughly where F2 used to be. Would save me hours. Much more useful than the current "Paste" button.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. After upgrade to Office 365, "cut and paste" does not work correctly.

In Excel 2011, if I cut or copied a cell to Clipboard and then inserted a row, I could paste the item in Clipboard into a new cell. With Office 365, if I cut or copy a cell and then do anything such as inserting a row, the Clipboard is erased. This is such a fundamental action in Excel - cutting and pasting - that the "improvement" should be undone. I'd like to know when this fix is accomplished. Thank you.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Bring back the clipboard in version 2016 for mac

Bring back the clipboard. It makes copying and pasting so much easier.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)